Watcha all wear....???

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, please don't scold me, as I know I am in the wrong, in the past, and I am going to change my behavior.....
That is why I ask this question.

I do boat alone, and I don't wear a PFD. I have some vest , uh, handy, but that is a lame excuse....
So please gang, share with me what you wear.
My biggest concern is comfort, but not at the cost of doing its job.
I boat in water that I can prolly swim to shore, that is, if I am able....

I looked in the shop here, and they offer quite a bit of variety.

I would really appreciate your firsthand feedback and advice, THANKS!

NYBo

Admiral
I always wear a Type 3 vest. You may find an automatic inflatable PFD more comfortable, but please, wear something.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
OK, please don't scold me, as I know I am in the wrong, in the past, and I am going to change my behavior.....
That is why I ask this question.

I do boat alone, and I don't wear a PFD. I have some vest , uh, handy, but that is a lame excuse....

I looked in the shop here, and they offer quite a bit of variety.

I would really appreciate your firsthand feedback and advice, THANKS!

I admit also that I often do not wear a PFD, but it depends on conditions. If I'm in calm water and there is very little traffic, my risk of slipping off the dock is probably 1000x higher than a boat accident. (I'm in a lake where i could also swim to shore, but the obvious problem is that is assuming I'm conscious.) Now if I'm in bad weather or screwing around in the jet boat, I have a wakeboard style legal PFD on.

On my sailboat, I'm contemplating an auto-inflating type vest. Best of both worlds, won't get in the way, but is also very safe. Cabellas has them on sale now for well under $100. They also have fanny pack type PFD's that are actually legal Type III vests, so not sure how that works but interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I don't wear any unless it gets rough but I do require anyone under the age of sixteen or anyone who is not a good swimmer to wear one

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree. Wear a vest. I have never been a strong swimmer after being knocked out. You never know what can happen. Also, they make a fanny pack style pfd? As if a regular vest wasn't demeaning enough.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I agree. Wear a vest. I have never been a strong swimmer after being knocked out. You never know what can happen. Also, they make a fanny pack style pfd? As if a regular vest wasn't demeaning enough.

Can't post links to cabellas, and iboats doesn't have this item, but anyway...
It looks like it probably would be of use for fisherman who are standing and casting all day... Probably be uncomfortable for anyone sitting down.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I don't wear a PFD on my 21 footer unless I am going out in the bay (Barnegat or Chesapeake) or ocean. On my little 10 foot go-fast I ALWAYS wear a PFD. I have had the wet side up three times and been thrown out each one of those times

JoLin

Vice Admiral
OK,

Promised my wife 8 years ago that I'd always wear a PFD when I'm out by myslef. I've kept that promise ever since- no exceptions. I know many who believe they can make it to shore without one, but there's no guarantee that you'll hit the water uninjured. There's plenty of hard/sharp stuff to hit on your way over the side. How far you gonna swim with a broken wrist, or worse?

I started with a manually inflatable PFD, then upgraded to a West Marine self-inflating 'coastal' model PFD when it was on sale a few years ago. I have no use for the fanny pack, pseudo-PFD stuff. I want something that'll help keep me face up me if I'm unconscious when I go over.

My .02

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well her comes a shocker, I don't know how to swim! Yes, I never was fawn of water and never learned how. And neither can my wife. SO, we both like to fish and therefore I/we wear a vest immediately after exiting the vehicle at the ramp. BUT, folks that THINK they can swim, never know what actual condition they may find themselves in if an accident does occur. I mean yes, you may be a great swimmer, but what if you are unconscious or even hurt? The best swimmer in the world will drown in water if unable to swim or tread water in any accident. And then you have the folks that THINK they are great swimmers that are now a lot older and never thought about how quickly they get tired trying to swim to safety. So I am all for wearing a vest all the time. It may not keep me from drowning, but at least they won't have to drag the lake to retrieve me. JMHO! Oh, I can swim pretty good with the vest on! :facepalm:

ziggy

Admiral
when i'm out with my ol lady, i wear my pfd intermittently (when off, the pfd is right next to me under my throttle, loose for grabbing and go, assuming i have the chance to grab). depends on conditions. when i'm alone, i wear a pfd at all times.
i use a type III pfd.
imho, they are not all created equal. some type III's i don't like. it seems like some, the cut under yer arms is too high and it feels constraining (uncomfortable) to me. i've found two that i like. both because they are cut low under the arm. i liked my kawasaki pfd and now i got a evolution that i like.
so try the one ya buy on prior to buying. some fit better than others.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
I used to only wear a conventional vest occasionally as I found them uncomfortable and hot.

About 5 years ago I bought my first auto-inflating PFD.
I wear it most of the time and it's so comfortable I don't even know I have it on.
I'm constantly forgetting to take it off.

I've since bought several more when on sale.

In Canada they only count as PFD's if you're wearing them.
If you're not wearing them and don't have any conventional PFD's on board then it's the same as not having any.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
marc c;n10077099 In Canada they only count as PFD's if you're wearing them. If you're not wearing them and don't have any conventional PFD's on board then it's the same as not having any. [/QUOTE said:
Good point, Marc. Same rule in the US.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not a strong swimmer so I always wear my PFD vest. Once I was canoeing the Skagit River when the canoe went next to a deep whirlpool and flipped the canoe right over. The 2 of us hardly knew what happened but the next thing we knew was we popped up right next the canoe with the canoe in one hand and the paddle in the other. I had tied down a tarp over our overnight load so the only things we lost were 2 sponges. It took us at least half a mile to get the canoe back to shore still upside down.

There just isn't time to find and put on a PFD in an accident.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
We have the auto inflatable PFDs that the admiral wears most the time except when sunbathing. In calm water during the heat of summer when the water is warm I don't wear my PFD but I always have it out and on the back of my helm chair. I try to always wear it when there's a bunch of other boats and rough water.

thumpar

Admiral
Good point, Marc. Same rule in the US.
Not sure where you live but that is not true here in WA state unless you are under 13 (yes I have been inspected on the water). They just want to make sure you have enough for the people on board plus a throwable.

That said for comfort I like the Jet Pilot side entry vests. I have one that I used when I had my JetSki. They are thin and don't restrict movement at all.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't think most people wear their PFDs. My brother and I were checked by the officials while fishing on the Missouri River in Montana. They looked around in the boat then asked us where our PFDs were. You should ;have seen the looks on their faces when I replied "We're wearing them".

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Thumpar, that's strange and I wonder if the law changed recently. It's always been the case that an inflatable PFD is only considered an approved PFD when it's being worn. However, I can't find a single mention of that rule in recent Coast Guard PFD guidelines. There will be a general meeting of my Power Squadron on Wednesday night, and I'll pose that question to our Chief Education Officer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I can see that an auto inflatable PFD has to be worn being a law in Canada, after all they require you to have a little pail to bail out your boat. :lol:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I was a manual inflating one always because they are frankly pretty comfortable. I am planning on getting some more for others. I do keep 1 normal one on the boat always just for skiing/tubing. I have an inflating throwable parents got me a few years back, never had to use it but did test it out myself and seems to work great.

I can see that an auto inflatable PFD has to be worn being a law in Canada, after all they require you to have a little pail to bail out your boat. :lol:
Never understood the pail thing. I have a bilge pump and if they can't do the job then no chance of a pail being useful.

RGrew176

Commander
In calm to moderate conditions I always have one handy nearby. When it gets rough and there is the chance I could be thrown from the boat I wear one. I will probably purchase an inflatable style vest and I will probably wear that most if not all the time.