What is this hole?

ctb1010

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone tell me what this hole is? It's on the front port side of the boat. The boat is a 19 foot fiberglass ski boat. The hole doesn't lead to anything.

Attachments

• photo234092.jpg
    photo234092.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This an anchor locker in the bow or near the hole?

thumpar

Admiral
Usually an anchor locker would have a fitting so that the water doesn't get into the shell of the hull. I have a cooler in the dash on mine and it has a fitting like a bilge pump or AC would have. It looks like it got poked with a bar or something.

Last edited:

ctb1010

Seaman Apprentice
It's right by the passenger seat by the windshield. I guess it's always been there. I bought the boat this year. It seems like it could go below the water line but it didn't all year. Should I plug it?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looks as if it had a fitting on it . I'd look inside and see if there was anything hooked to it at some point.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
does the passenger side have a glovebox and a small cooler? looks like the cooler drain line with a busted thru-hull fitting.

shrew

Lieutenant
It is a through-hull fitting for a locker drain. Something fairly small. that looks about the same size as the one for the self-draining cooler in my cockpit. Mine hold about 6 beers, so it's completely useless. I store my mask and snorkel in it.

You can see the tail spar still jammed into the hole, holding on by fear. It needs to be removed and a new one rebidded. If the hose pulls what is left of the tail spar in, then you will have a hole in you boat letting water in.

thumpar

Admiral
It is a through-hull fitting for a locker drain. Something fairly small. that looks about the same size as the one for the self-draining cooler in my cockpit. Mine hold about 6 beers, so it's completely useless. I store my mask and snorkel in it.

You can see the tail spar still jammed into the hole, holding on by fear. It needs to be removed and a new one rebidded. If the hose pulls what is left of the tail spar in, then you will have a hole in you boat letting water in.
Only 6? Mine holds around 16 plus ice. I take a small cooler for food.

shrew

Lieutenant

LOL. I have a fridge for food and a cooler dedicated to beer and ice for mixed drinks.

-Apologies to the OP for the hijack.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the one in my searay would hold 30 cans plus ice....right up to the point you hit the big wake and the cooler lets loose from the bottom of the port side console.:facepalm:

5200 and aluminum angle as a backer along with 40 screws fixed that.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Google your boat and see if any photos that pop up on the web can explain it. The hole looks sloppy, so I suspect the previous owner drilled it to mount something(no idea what) and then pulled it off the boat before selling leaving you that nice hole.

ctb1010

Seaman Apprentice
You guys were right. Glovebox doubles as a cooler and the drainpipe came loose.

southkogs

Staff member
Looks like .40 S&W to me.

:drum:

You guys were right. Glovebox doubles as a cooler and the drainpipe came loose.
Took me a while to figure it out on mine too. I was standing next to the boat on the trailer staring at it, and when it dawned on me I started laughing out loud. Anyone watching would have thought I was a certifiable nut.