Why you should have GPS

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pretty eerie feeling being out on the water disoriented. Even felt claustrophobic. The first spot we anchored you could see two sets of small channel markers, but once the boat drifted a bit and you walked around on deck, you had no idea which way was what. Fog cleared up later on in the afternoon.

Oh, I saw some idiot going about 25 kts in that.....with no nav lights.

fog.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant
I would add Compass to the list of mandatory equipment. The GPS draws the heading from the calculations of the current point an the last point. If you're going too slow, the GPS can have a large margin of error regarding an accurate heading. I found mine tends to be more accurate when I'm between 6-8 kts. A compass allows you to ensure you're holding an accurate course. I split monitoring the compass and GPS about 50/50.

Also, Radar helps with other boats. GPS won't show you where the boats are.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I remember fishing on Clark Lake in door county, leaving at 5am to get to the fishing spot prior to dawn. using the GPS in the fog. could not see more than 2' in front of the railing on the pontoon. could hear motors idling by, when the fog burned off by 8am, there were 20 boats out there. glad we didnt run into each other.

wish I had radar at that point.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I would add Compass to the list of mandatory equipment. The GPS draws the heading from the calculations of the current point an the last point. If you're going too slow, the GPS can have a large margin of error regarding an accurate heading.

A lot of the newer gps's (and almost all smart phones) are coming with a magnetic compass built in now! Accuracy ranges from so-so to very good, depending on how much metal is nearby and how it was calibrated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Before GPS, I could head off shore using my compass and get within 1/4 mile of a spot on an island that is 17 miles out.

Unfortunately, modern boaters don't learn how to navigate without a GPS. What happens if it fails?

When I used to fly, I had a GPS but would also not use it at times so that I could keep my navigation skills sharp.

A good calibrated compass is a must on a boat.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Any GPS will absolutely place you exactly where you want to go if you actually know where that is. I mean if you do have the proper coordinates, you will go there. However, the GPS does take some form of power to keep it working and there for a good compass is not a bad idea. I own a first generation hand held Eagle Electronics GPS. Yes it was the very first generation and batteries lasted about 6 hours max. But even that GPS unit would certainly bring you back to your starting point within a truck length. I know, I actually tried it, many times. And I still have the unit to this day. Even the year 2000 didn't screw it up. :smile:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Before GPS, I could head off shore using my compass and get within 1/4 mile of a spot on an island that is 17 miles out. Unfortunately, modern boaters don't learn how to navigate without a GPS. What happens if it fails? When I used to fly, I had a GPS but would also not use it at times so that I could keep my navigation skills sharp. A good calibrated compass is a must on a boat.

Well said. I have a GPS, and I've built tracks and routes of everyplace I normally go, in case the fog takes me by surprise or I stay out later than expected. BUT, electronics fail.

I have my spirit compass and paper charts with marked routes, compass headings and distances recorded on it. IMO, anyone who boats should take a course in chart plotting and have the local charts to back it up. It isn't difficult once you've been shown how to do it.

T + V = M :rolleyes:

My .02

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Typical morning on the Chesapeake this time of the year. Add navigating one of the busiest shipping lanes on the East coat and the real fun begins.

GPS isn't going to cut it. Radar required. AIS recommend

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander
35 years ago (before GPS), commercial fishing 50 -75 miles off Atlantic City, pea soup fog, Boston whaler outrage comes idling up out of the fog and the guy calls out "which way is Atlantic City?",... The captain points, and the guy idles off in that direction......

Neuner

Seaman
Thanks JaCrispy for posting. Have yet to encounter fog but hoping I'm prepared with my skills, common sense and gear I take on board.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have that issue where we are. Shipping lanes north of the port of Los Angeles.
The shipping lanes out front are not so bad. The Bay is the issue.

The Bay is a flooded ancient river valley. At it's narrowest point it's only 4 miles wide. Barely wide enough for two ships to pass at some points.

Passing ships are pretty good about broadcasting a warning as they approach the fishing fleet in limited visibility. More worried about getting broad sided and rolled. The shipping channel follows the path of the old river bed. Steep drops on both sides of the channel with large flats on both sides. The steep drop on the edge of the channel cause the wakes to roll up and break in places what otherwise looks like wide open water. Wrong place at the wrong time your done. So much so that local charts warn of the phenomena.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^^what he says. Been caught in the fog off Baltimore light with a container ship coming through.

ah, and then getting back in through the crab pots.

Last edited:

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dont drive out if there is fog :p all stuff is good.gps,compass,radar.what ever do you have.but compass is most common on boats.

shrew

Lieutenant
In high traffic areas, especially with heavy commercial traffic, radar is a necessity in heavy fog. It's crazy when a large ship or ferry is lit up on the radar like an island because the large metal hull returns such a strong signal, you can hear the bow wave splashing, even hear the murmur of people on deck, but never actually see it with the naked eye.

We always use paper charts in parallel to electronics unless we're extremely familiar with the area. My wife likes to navigate in parallel with her iPad as well. Though I don't trust handhelds due to battery life concerns. Admittedly, the iPad does a better job of holding course. You can even see the yaw of the boat if we're fighting a strong crosswind or crosscurrent on iPad.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Though I don't trust handhelds due to battery life concerns. Admittedly, the iPad does a better job of holding course. You can even see the yaw of the boat if we're fighting a strong crosswind or crosscurrent on iPad.

You can always get plug in 12v adapters. The battery is just a backup if you lose all electrical power. (in which case you probably won't have a running engine either, unless you have a old diesel.)

I use an old phone as my mediaplayer/depthfinder/speedometer in my boat, works great, but is always plugged in!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
This year we had some times where the smoke from forest fires was as thick as fog, here you can see a passenger boat emerging. Yeah I was running with nav lights but was the only one.

20150801_090828.jpg

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a compass too, but the channel is super narrow and you could go from 10' water to 2' water in a few feet. My unit (Lowrance Elite 5) keeps history which helps late in the season when they start pulling buoys.