2016 Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk deck leak

Kinger42

Cadet
Just bought a new Crestliner, love it but....when it rains, it seems that the water isn't draining properly into the bilge. There is a rod storage compartment located under the forward deck, which also contains a compartment for the trolling motor battery. Just behind that is another compartment, where the reels would hang. This is filling with water. There are 2 factory holes on 2 sides of this compartment which appear are for drainage???? Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. It fills with water even with the cover on, and the only place I can think of how water is even getting into the boat would be up near the bow where the cover snaps on. Haven't had the boat out on the water when it was raining, but maybe then I'd have a better inkling of where the water is coming from????

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Kinger:

Is that compartment draining? Are you getting a lot of water in the hull?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If water is getting in, it needs a way out. regardless of how it gets in. On one of mine when I got it, it would fill the ski locker, even though it had drain holes in it. What I found was the locker is really a false floor, and drains into the area below, down by the bottom of the keel. I had to raise the drive up all the way, took a long stick, and shoved it all the way forward through the drainplug in the stern. The scupper holes below the false deck were plugged, enough the fuel tank area would fill with water also. I kept poking and running a hose for about an hour, got lots of debris out, and now she drains just fine.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Great boat! I have the 2003 version. Have you talked to your dealer? That's where I would start. Not too many of us have brand new boats on here. Congrats! What motor did you hang off the stern?

Kinger42

Cadet
Welcome aboard Kinger:

Is that compartment draining? Are you getting a lot of water in the hull?

No water is getting into the hull. The factory holes are a bit higher than the water has gotten in there, I'd say a gallon or so. There is also a sticker in there saying DO NOT DRILL any holes in this compartment. Just odd that when it rains, it drains into there, I know it shouldn't.

Kinger42

Cadet
Great boat! I have the 2003 version. Have you talked to your dealer? That's where I would start. Not too many of us have brand new boats on here. Congrats! What motor did you hang off the stern?

I love this thing. Yes, I've talked to the dealer and unfortunately it seems that they could really care less. There is a Mercury 60hp 4stroke on it. It purrs.

Kinger42

Cadet
I should also add, that a little bit of water has also gotten into the battery compartment, all this moisture is doing a number on the terminals, they are getting quite oxidized.

southkogs

Staff member
Yes, I've talked to the dealer and unfortunately it seems that they could really care less.
I'd personally go to Crestliner directly - it's a new boat and you don't wanna' do anything that goofs up your warranty.

If the dealer is being a toad ... maybe call and ask them for the direct line to Crestliner's warranty service and legal division for your lawyer. That'll at least shake the tree a little bit :devilish:

fishrdan

Admiral
Agree with southkogs, it's a new boat, and if the dealer isn't helping, time to call Crestliner.

I've called them a few times on my 2001 and they were very helpful, even though the boat is well out of warranty and I'm not the original owner.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I love this thing. Yes, I've talked to the dealer and unfortunately it seems that they could really care less. There is a Mercury 60hp 4stroke on it. It purrs.

They're an extremely stable boat. Heck, you can stand in the corner at the stern and the hull hardly lists..... I have an 60 4 stroke Johnson. Love the motor, but I think a 75 would make the hull perform better, especially out of the hole. Once on plane I always back down anyway. 90hp would be too much IMO. Even tho that's what it's rated for......

You shouldn't be having the those issues. The dealer should be helping you out. Sounds like all they want to do is sell product. After that it's zero customer service. I too would talk to Crestliner. You may want to mention who your dealer was too....

I had to call Chrysler because a dealer wouldn't fix an issue. Chrysler got right on it with a different dealership.....

Kinger42

Cadet
So far I've just used a cup to bail out the water, then soak up what is left with a towel. I've contacted Crestliner and they referred me back to the dealer. The dealer asks if I contacted Crestliner. Quite the runaround. Also, trying to order some of the SureMount gunnel system accessories is a pretty difficult thing to do as well. I love the boat, but if I had known the poor customer service was going to happen, I would've went somewhere else. Thanks for the replies....my apologies if my venting is out of line.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Your venting wasn't out of line. I wouldn't be happy either if I bought a new boat that was accumulating water somehow. I'm disappointed that Crestliner wasn't any help. That's the only boats me and 2 other family members have owned. Is there another Crestliner dealer you could talk to and explain the situation from the other dealer and manufacturer? Crestliner makes a great product, but they should stand 100% behind their product.... Did you tell Crestliner the dealer wouldn't deal with it?

Kinger42

Cadet
Your venting wasn't out of line. I wouldn't be happy either if I bought a new boat that was accumulating water somehow. I'm disappointed that Crestliner wasn't any help. That's the only boats me and 2 other family members have owned. Is there another Crestliner dealer you could talk to and explain the situation from the other dealer and manufacturer? Crestliner makes a great product, but they should stand 100% behind their product.... Did you tell Crestliner the dealer wouldn't deal with it?

First I called the dealer and asked about the 'leaking' situation and if that was normal. His response was something like "well the cover isn't 100% waterproof"...I did find that odd, but was just looking for a yes or no....couldn't get that from them, so I contacted Crestliner. I know the dealer was swamped with winterizations, they may have said to stop by with it but I don't recall if they did. I'll attempt to post a pic of what I am talking about....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
squeaking wheels get grease.... the meek get ignored...

hands down, TAKE the boat to the dealer... calmly but assertively explain that you are not satisfied.. explain that it is absolutely defective and needs to be corrected.... you might get a bit of moisture through a cover but it should be a few drops in a major storm... filling compartments is how new boats become junk boats in very short order... I would be looking to get it under cover ASAP... a $700 carport for a brand new boat IMHO isn't at all out of line.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'll add that I've seen dad's 2001 tracker set outside while the shed was occupied with a project and through thunderstorms, showers, snow, ice, etc it stayed bone dry under it's original 15 year old cover... even a couple of fishing magazines laying on the front deck were in perfect condition after a month of it sitting out through nasty weather.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
El cheapo covers can let water in, but I'm assuming it's a factory snap on cover. They are pretty good and should not leak. My factory one never leaked. Does the cover have a vent? Anyway water could be getting in at that point? Shouldn't..... Also make sure your factory cover is tight. Extend the the 3 poles so you don't get any pooling on the cover.... I would show any pics you have to the dealer too. They probably are swamped with winterizing, so it may take time.... Maybe when not in use put a tarp over the whole hull. Use the factory cover too.... You can get those gray tarps at Menards.

Kinger42

Cadet
I will be bringing it to the dealer. Today, I took a good close look at the situation. What I discovered has me scratching my head. The compartment had a little water in it, which is how I left it. The hole on the right side appeared to be wet, I reached down and stuck my fingers in there and sure enough, it was FULL of water. I was like WTH... The drain plug was out, no water coming out. I cranked up the jack to the max, some but not all of the water drained. Hooked the boat up and backed it down the hill, a little more water came out. Put boat back, stuck fingers in again and there was a little water in there, but it was below what 'must' be a drain hole?...Stuck fingers in hole where wires to battery come out in that compartment, water in there too....very weird to me that this is how the boat is set up, something isn't right : / and I appreciate all the replies.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If you can, post up whatever the dealer finds/how water is getting in..... Glad they're going to look at it.....

Kinger42

Cadet
Dropped boat off yesterday at 0930. Dealer called me around 1600 saying boat was all set. Was told there was some styrofoam blocking a draining channel causing the water to backup. Was also told that both the battery compartment and reel access compartments are suppose to have drain holes. They said when they install the vinyl in these places, the holes get covered up...there are holes there now, made by the mechanic. Guess I'm gonna have to wait till Spring to see if the trapped water, which is now ice, drains out when it thaws.