My Silverline is Gone!

southkogs

Staff member
There's a hole in my driveway the size of a Silverline Comoro! Not all of the paperwork is done yet, but the Silverine has a new home, and I'm on my way to being a Bayliner owner.

I bought the Silverline five years ago (topic on it HERE), and it's always been - even when giving me some grief - a good boat. I learned a TON about sterndrives from this old gal, and even now think it's a great boat for anyone who doesn't mind the added hassle of an obsolete drive. The Bayliner was just THAT much newer, with a Mercruiser ... and free. Tough to pass up and I don't have the space or time for two boats that size.

A good friend of mine had gone up to help me look at the Silverline when I first bought it. He's better at engines than I am and even helped me work on the boat a few times. I figured he's seen it, worked on it and even heard me gripe about it from time to time ... so I offered it to him if he wanted it. He was pretty excited to have a boat again, and I'm close by to help out with the ins and outs of a Stringer drive ... and take the occasional ride :)

Kinda' sad dropping her off at their place, but really it works out very well and we've got some new "boating buds" when we go out to the lake!

Now I have to start working on a new sig picture :D

redfury

Commander
Just kidding of course. How much work does the new bilge liner need?

superbenk

Commander
Congratulations! I know the feeling you had letting her go - I felt the same letting the Century go. You'll miss the Stringer drive sometimes but you'll sleep better knowing you can buy parts for *anything* on the Merc!

southkogs

Staff member
Just kidding of course. How much work does the new bilge liner need?
Nearly nuthin'. Starter is acting kinda' funny - so I'm going to pull it and have the guy who rebuilt the motors for my Stringer look at it. If he thinks it's fixable, I'll just have him do it. After that, a little cosmetic work and some TN numbers.

southkogs

Staff member
Congratulations! I know the feeling you had letting her go - I felt the same letting the Century go. You'll miss the Stringer drive sometimes but you'll sleep better knowing you can buy parts for *anything* on the Merc!
We've had it out about 5 times, and now that I'm used to the differences it's really going to be a better boat. BUT it is funny how on some things I say to myself, "the Stringer really did that better."

That said, when I run across another Silverline with a Merc drilled into the back ... good chance the Admiral will hear some beggin'. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My Silverline is Gone!

Did the insurance claim adjuster stop by yet? Never mind - It had a Stringer. LOL

Very nice gesture to give the the Silverline to a boatless buddy, SK. :thumb:

southkogs

Staff member
Be honest...you feel sorry for him because he now has a stringer drive.
LOL ... I warned him what I was about to do to him :D

Very nice gesture to give the the Silverline to a boatless buddy, SK. :thumb:
He's a great guy, good friend and ... well ... I couldn't sell the thing in good conscience ... you have to do that sort of stuff to friends :rolleyes:

64osby

Admiral
Nothing more expensive than a free boat.:watermelon:

Best of luck with the Bayliner. It's nice to have good friends. :cool: