Livewell Pump in Transom drain plug hole? Any way to adapt?

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anybody use existing drain plug hole for their livewell pump feed? Adaptor? Plumbing? Thanks any ideas appreciated. Starcraft 18 ft aluminum SS
I wish to avoid drilling another transom hole

I'm not sure I'd want to take away my ability to drain the bilge.

I fully understand the hesitancy to drill holes in the transom (I've repaired 3 boats with rotted transoms). Just do a careful job of sealing the hole on both sides with 3M 5200, and maybe go a step beyond and paint the inside of the new hole with epoxy laminating resin and you should be fine.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Correct. However a new hole would be in the metal only as my transom wood only reaches 3/4 down

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can't see how any plumbing setup could work properly. I would drill another hole and seal it with whatever you chose and move the live well pump to that location. Reason? Because the bilge drain should be the lowest part of the boat. And a live well pump will pump any time it is below the water line. JMHO!

..... However a new hole would be in the metal only as my transom wood only reaches 3/4 down

Well if that's the case I wouldn't have any worries about drilling the hole. The trick to getting it well sealed is to scuff up the surface with something like a scotch-brite pad and then thoroughly clean the area with a damp cloth.