Steering Cable and Helm replacement question

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. I have decided through process of elimination that my 1995 Rinker Captiva 212 OB is in need of a new steering cable. It has a Mercruiser 4.3LX with a Alpha one Gen II drive with the power assist system. Earlier in the season, my steering became quite stiff. I disconnect the cable from the tiller arm at the transom and had a very free moving cable so I concluded that it must be the pump as it was the original unit. I replaced the pump and the steering became a little bit smoother so I assumed it was fixed. In a matter of weeks the stiff steering was back so I decided again to disconnect the cable and remove it from the steering Mechanism. The steering felt just as stiff as before. I even cleaned and re-greased the steering cable shaft with no result.

So, I am going to replaced the cable, rack and helm (tilt). I was able to get a photo of the stamping on the cable that appears to read SSC12475 15. from what i understand, the SSC12475 is the old part number from teleflex and 15 is the length. To confirm, I measured the cable and it appeared to be right around 15 feet the best I could tell. I have been having problems finding a direct replacement for the cable and helm using the part number. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Attached is a pic of the cable. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1