Listing issue

Screw2021

Recruit
I just bought a 2001 172 CC Key Largo w/ a 90 Merc. I just noticed that it lists to port when planed out. I'd like to avoid adding an entire trim tab system. Has anyone experienced this and solved it without trim tabs?

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome.
As a rule to solve listing problems you either have to find a weight problem, move weight around or install trim/smart tabs.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat is leaning to port because your prop is spinning clockwise so nothing is wrong. Try shifting weight around if you don't want to add tabs.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The boat is leaning to port because your prop is spinning clockwise so nothing is wrong. Try shifting weight around if you don't want to add tabs.

Yup. Prop torque, and it's normal.

Shift weight and/or look into something like Smart Tabs if you don't want to spring for Bennetts. They should work well on your boat.

Screw2021

Recruit
Thanks to everyone who responded. It only leans a few degrees but it's noticeable. Do smart tabs stay in one position or are the adjustable on either side? I'm concerned that if stay in fully expanded position on both sides it will continue to list. Would it be silly to just put one on the port side or would I just list to starboard at slower speeds?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just move some weight around to counteract the list. On my boat shifting the batterys and where I store my anchors makes a big difference, also how I set people inside my boat also makes a big difference.

Alumarine

Captain
Thanks to everyone who responded. It only leans a few degrees but it's noticeable. Do smart tabs stay in one position or are the adjustable on either side? I'm concerned that if stay in fully expanded position on both sides it will continue to list. Would it be silly to just put one on the port side or would I just list to starboard at slower speeds?

Smart tabs are independently adjustable.
My fuel tank and kicker are both on the port side so I have that tab adjusted more than starboard.

I think you need to mount them in pairs.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Smart tabs are independently adjustable.
My fuel tank and kicker are both on the port side so I have that tab adjusted more than starboard.

I think you need to mount them in pairs.

Yes, they need to be mounted in pairs. Unless you have a really serious listing issue, there shouldn't be any need to adjust them individually.

OP, visit the Nauticus website and read up on how they work. They're designed to keep the bow down to get you on plane quicker, and to help correct list.The tab opposite the listing side will automatically act to help correct the list, even as passengers move around the boat. I used them on a 21' Pro-Line and they did the job. On a small, light boat like yours ST's should be more than adequate.

My .02

shrew

Lieutenant
Does it list at rest? Does it list while running at headway speeds? Are you trimming the motor out when you're up on plane?

bassman284

Commander
Does it list at rest? Does it list while running at headway speeds? Are you trimming the motor out when you're up on plane?
Yeah, this is important. The OP says it lists when planed out. About 30 years ago I remember a guy whose Lund listed heavily to port at speed. Some oldtimer figured out that his transducer was too close to the center of the boat and was disrupting the water flow over the starboard side of the prop causing the port side to dig in heavier. I know it's a long shot, but take a look at your transom and see if there's anything that could be causing this.