Need help to find a Fully Fiberglass constructed CC boat. No wood.

atti_mac

Seaman Apprentice
I am very glad I was reading this article below , because I almost pulled a trigger on the SEA RAY... Please read it if you have a minute.
And if you guys can tell me what other than Boston Whaler boats are "unsinkable" fully constacted with fiberglass so i don't need to worry about soft spots, or my T-Top will not fall on me because of the rotten wood ... I am looking to buy an other Center Console, 18-20' V haul. Thank you.
Here is the link:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I suspect you should stop shopping for a used boat, break out your Fort Knox key, and write a very large check to a high end custom boat builder.

For a used boat, condition is typically more important then maker.

A well maintained boat wont have rotten wood

Good luck in your quest.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Old Pascoe article, not a reflection of current Sea Ray boats. Also, Boston Whaler's are made by Brunswick, same company
that makes Sea Ray's.

You should still look at Sea Ray, good boats if taken care of.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Firstly, that is a fairly old article, but has good info in it. Second, I think it is unfair to single out SeaRay as a bad boat builder. With additional comparison, I think you will find SeaRay is better than a lot of boat builders. I am sure Mr. Pascoe did not mean to single out any boat brand.

Third, I am not sure I understand what your definition of unsinkable is. All boats under 25' or so, are required to float when completely filled with water. Boston Whaler has the commercials where the boat is cut in half and still floats. Not sure what use that is, but it makes a good commercial, as it is memorable. Just so you know, Whalers are cored with foam. That foam can absorb water, just like any other boat. You must therefore make sure there are no cracks or holes in the hull to allow that water a way in, as with any boat.

Just so you know, any wood in modern FG boats is usually protected from rot by fiberglass. It takes a lot of abuse before floors get soft and stringers rot. It makes sense to walk the deck of a boat and look/feel for soft spots.

atti_mac

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you! I was looking many boats the last 6 months or so and 70% of them had a spot where it was soft. I ended up an 18' Keener, end it is rock solid, but we would like to get something bigger. Not much bigger, just around 20' 19.6 boat with trailer fit in my garage :) I like the Key West and a Sea Ray a lot so They were advertising them as "no wood" This is why I asked. And I was reading that article so made me think. Wouldn't supersize me if boats aren't made that solid than did it back than, to save money.. But if you guys sure about a solid construction, I will still looking in to the Sea Ray :)