Project Chieftain

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
Out of habit I was cruising Craigslist yesterday and came across an early 70's Starcraft Chieftain 21 at an estate sale within 30 miles. Photos show her sitting on a tandom trailer. They are asking $1K but say will take any reasonable offer. I'm sure I could weasle the idea past the wife but my boy just got married and we are trying to recover from that along with the side of beef that just went in the freezer. I can see myself at the helm of that ol girl after she is all dolled up, but probably not in the cards this year, bummer!

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You've got to decide if you will regret this decision later. If "no" then move along. If "yes" then maybe reconsider. If you can get her for under $1K now and hold on to her until you have a bit of cash to spend on restoration maybe it's worth it.

64osby

Admiral
I would go look, bring the Admiral and take her out to a nice lunch. Leave your phone number with a really low number. When it doesn't sell, they might call.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would go look, bring the Admiral and take her out to a nice lunch. Leave your phone number with a really low number. When it doesn't sell, they might call.

Sounds devilish! :eyebrows:

It just might work!

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
Well thanks for the encouraging, going to look at her this afternoon. Anything about an early 3.0 merc I need to watch for?

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
Just too may ifs. If I had a heated shed, unlimited funds, was closer to big water, yada yada yada. She is not in bad shape for the shape she's in. Lots of time and a bunch of money and she would be a real babe.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That's lots of time OR a bunch of money...

You don't NEED a heated shed.... Just tarp the boat and put a space heater in the cockpit....

Ur making excuses in the wrong direction....

BUY the big boat and then park it.... Spend all winter looking for the right deals on whatever parts you need.... For the patient man parts are all but free... Heck even a motor can be had for free or LESS.... Buy junk rotten boat for $500, pay $75 to dispose of hull, sell trailer for $400, sell drive for $200 and stereo for $25... Viola you just got PAID $50 to pull your free motor!

Be resourcefull and persistent and you'll be on the water in your new cruiser in no time. .......

Or in other words...... Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!!!!!

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
You know it's kind of like belly upping to a buffet after having a big lunch. I spent 10 years looking for a Chieftain, found one, bought it and now really don't have the ambition to beat it into shape. Think she's just going to end up in someone else's shed. All the things that have happened over the last 10 years have really sucked the wind out of my sail.