1988 bayliner--need opinions please

kokajohn

Cadet
I have a 1988 19ft Bayliner Capri with a 3L inboard and an OMC Cobra stern Drive. I posted earlier that it was leaking oil out the drain and I tried to find the leak. I couldn't find anything so I took it to a local Marine shop to have them check it out (at $90.00 / hr). They told me that these bayliners were production boats, meaning they were all slapped together pretty much the same and that I would be unable to get parts for this particular engine and outdrive unit. They still have the boat checking it out, but I was wondering if what they say is true or not. I live in the Northwest. Just looking for other opinions before putting more money out.

Thanks

thumpar

Admiral
The 3.0l is still used in boats just without the OMC external parts. Could the oil be from a previous oil change?

southkogs

Staff member
OMC went out of business 20 years ago. Parts can be difficult to find sometimes, but not impossible. If the boat is in good condition and otherwise works fine, I would be figuring out what's wrong before I started writing the eulogy.

tpenfield

Staff member
The boat comments and engine comments from the shop should be treated separately. Baylliner is a low-end economy boat and the 1980's are not the pride of their fleet. Your concern may be more with the OMC as stated in the previous posts. The engine itself is not obsolete. But the out drive is.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is not unusual for sterndrive engines to have leaky oil pans, timing covers and oil filters, as well as oil pressure sensors, if the boat is used in saltwater.