S16 Saturn Duratech Boat

66gplvr

Recruit
I have a Duratech Boat that my parents bought new around 1959 or 1960, I believe. It has been in the family all of those years, and now is in my possession. The trim tag is stamped S16 Saturn, with serial number 41030. Does anyone know much about these? I didn't see a Saturn in the pictures, but my boat sure looks similar to some in the pictures. I remember riding in this boat when I was a child. Thanks in advance for any info. Jeff

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cant help w the Saturn details, but welcome to iboats and its awesome you can keep the Duratech in the family

64osby

Admiral
By 1961, most of the Veelines and Sealines were phased out as newer runabout models were phased in - the 14 foot Meteor, Marlin and Skier, the 16 foot Neptune, the 16 foot Saturn, the 17 foot Orion and the 18 foot Galaxy.

Quoted from ..... http://www.duratechboats.com/pb/wp_afc3d005/wp_afc3d005.html

Didn't see any pics in the gallery section.

Fiberglassics shows it as a 1961 model. http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/d/de/Duratechbb004.jpg

Some pictures would be great. :boink:

Welcome to iboats. :welcome:

66gplvr

Recruit
Thank you for responding. I was born in 1962 and my parents had the boat then (I was told they bought it new), but I wasn't sure of the year. I will take a few pics soon, but the windshield is gone and most of the aqua paint on the bow has peeled off and it has some funky carpet in it presently. I'm not sure what to do with it, as my wife and I have a canoe, a rowboat, a 1969/70 Astro trihull open-bow speedboat and a pontoon boat. I'm torn between selling it and keeping it for sentimental reasons. I don't need another project. Oh, well. I just found this forum and decided it would be nice to occasionally converse with other owners and maybe over time, I can make up my mind. (wishy-washy, I know). Thanks in advance. Jeff

jbcurt00

Staff member
If there's not room for 'another boat' at your place, I'd give serious consideration to selling the Astro off and keeping the Saturn. Even if that means you'll have to rehab it before you can use it.

Might not be that many Astros floating around on your favorite waterway, but I'd bet you'd never run into another Saturn while you're in yours. Or even find another close to you.

Good luck either way