Should I winterize

Joral

Cadet
Live in the northeast. 150 hp Yamaha, two cycle motor was professionally winterized 2014. This year, boat was used only for about half an hour in fresh water at a very low speed. Should I have it winterize again this winter? Would fogging be enough? Should I change oil in the lower unit? Thank you.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I would winterize it if i were you. Better safe than sorry.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Stabilize the fuel, fog it and drain out and replace an ounce o lower unit lube. If no water in the oil, you're good to go. 5 bucks cost and 15 minutes and you will have no worries.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you used it this year, undoing last years winterization. so yes, winterize it unless you live in south texas or florida or some other place where it doesnt freeze. winterizing an outboard is 15 minutes worth of work.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't change the lower unit oil. Unless you have a bad seal, that gear oil is still as fresh as when it was put in. Just crack the drain plug & let enough out to make sure it doesn't have any water in it. I'd fog it.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You have not used it enough to affect the lower unit lubrication. The plugs will be as good as they were at the beginning of the season. The two stoke mix in the fuel effectively stabilizes the fuel and fogs the engine. You can add fuel stabilizer and fog the engine but, personally, I don't think it's worth it.
I don't think there is much 'winterization' you need to consider. As Blind Date suggested, just check for problems that should not be there. Make sure the water has had a chance to drain from everything.