Pulling to the left

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took my new-to-me boat out for the first time this weekend and it pulls a bit to the left. I examined the lower unit at the end of the day and found they skeg to be slightly bent in such a way that the boat would pull left so I'm assuming that's the issue. What is the best way to correct the bent skeg? Bashing it with a hammer is certainly one way but not sure it's the best way. Thoughts?

roffey

Commander
I am assuming you have rack and pinion power steering, right?

roffey

Commander
it was my feeling that for the most part power steering does not have Torque steer and if the skeg is bent you will have to take it to a shop to straighten out. I don't think it expensive I see ads for it all the time on Kijiji (http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/skeg-repairs/k0l9004). The big question is that what the problem is for that that answer I will wait for someone else to step in, LOL.

roffey

Commander
forgot your not in Canada, sorry. I bet their are places to get the skeg fixed.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am not a fan of just banging on an outdrive to fix a bent skeg. Any prop shop in your area should be able to fix it for pretty cheap.

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys! I will look into finding a service shop that can fix it for me.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Indeed something is wrong, but I have not seen a bent skeg cause a boat to pull in any direction. Does the boat have a right handed prop or is it left-handed?

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the part I didn't share, cuz I was emberrassed I guess, is that the skeg is bent because I banged it on the ramp. I forgot to put the lower unit up and dragged it a few inches up the ramp before I heard the scraping sound. So I probably damaged something else. Any ideas?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd be surprised if dragging the skeg on the ramp for a few feet would do much to anything but the skeg itself, unless you drove several hundred feet with the drive down. If you look at enough boats, you'll see that many of the skegs bear battle scars. I don't think the 'ramp drag' is that uncommon...

roffey

Commander
I have dragged the skeg across the cement ramp and all it did was scratch the pavement, LOL, I bet it was bent before the skeg drag. For a newbie owner I bet it wont be the last time.

I guess a good question is how hard does it pull and does it only pull on take off or does it pull once your up on plane? how hard does it pull, is it a two hander or will one finger resting on the wheel do?

Could the out drive position be the problem, maybe an adjustment?

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you notice the pulling before the ramp-drag incident?

No I didn't, Maclin, which is what lead me to associate the two events. The pull is not dramatic and I can hold the wheel in place easily with one finger. If I let go, though, the boat will dart left pretty quickly. I can't remember if it was worse or better when or on plane but my recollection the situation got better once planed and trimmed up a bit.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
trim the lower unit up should ease the pull and welcome to the ramp draggers club. I'd venture that 90% of us have done it. I've got my Carver set up now so I'm about 7" high of the ground so won't be doing it again soon. Gives a bit higher center of gravity but still trailers well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can use an anode with a fin on it, even if you have power steering. Adjust it to pull a little right and your problem should be mitigated. Use a standard fin anode for standard props and the anode with the smaller, set-back fin, for props with extra rake.