'97 thunderbird formula f-18 outboard? does my boat exist?

thunderbird or fake HIN and title

I bought this boat becuase the V4 had good commpression and was pretty good deal considering the engine only needed minor repairs. I tested the engine on this boat rotten floor and all and really liked the way it rode was hitting 40 pretty easy. I now wanted to venture into the resoration side of boating and fix this one up. My problem/question is The HIN and title match and tell me it is a 1979 thunderbird 18'2". For the life of me i fannot find a formula that is an outboard. No pictures no information. Is this a fake title, and altered HIN? Is this a convertion to an outboard? If so what do i need to look for to know the job was done correctly so i can trust the evinrude wont be sitting on the bottom of the ocean with half the boat?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
:welcome: to iboats John!

Once you're able (iboats requires a few post to be made I believe) to get some pics showing the interior from the bow back and side to side.

In the mean time I'd be looking at what structure was there and the condition (rot?) of said structure. Perhaps look at some old boat plans to get an idea of general boat construction and see how closely what you have matches.

jbcurt00

Staff member
1979 18ft Thunderbird outboard
http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Thunderb...79/bp/66b95117

Hull by Formula maybe?

So it does exist, if the HIN and title both agree, then I dont think theres a problem w it or that its faked somehow.

Sorry iboats specs dont include pix to confirm yours looks like the 1 they show for 1979.

Last edited:
Wow thank you! Maybe the outboards were not a popular model becuase i still cant find much more information on it then the iboats spects. If anyone has any more info on the 1979 18 formula outboard i would really appriciate some thank you again!

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Now that you posted three times you can also upload pics. An excellent resource for Formula boats is Scott Smith and Formula boats. He is very helpful in answering questions about older Formulas

scotts@formulaboats.com

No Title

Needs a good wash some on and off a floor seats have to rewire everything, but thats why i like it.... take something that is not running and not taken care of atrip it down and try to make it shine again.

Attachments

• photo232183.jpg
    photo232183.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232197.jpg
    photo232197.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 0
I bought this boat becuase the V4 had good commpression and was pretty good deal considering the engine only needed minor repairs. I tested the engine on this boat rotten floor and all and really liked the way it rode was hitting 40 pretty easy. I now wanted to venture into the resoration side of boating and fix this one up. My problem/question is The HIN and title match and tell me it is a 1979 thunderbird 18'2". For the life of me i fannot find a formula that is an outboard. No pictures no information. Is this a fake title, and altered HIN? Is this a convertion to an outboard? If so what do i need to look for to know the job was done correctly so i can trust the evinrude wont be sitting on the bottom of the ocean with half the boat?

Attachments

• photo232183.jpg
    photo232183.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232184.jpg
    photo232184.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232187.jpg
    photo232187.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232197.jpg
    photo232197.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
I merged the 2 topics and left them over in the Boat Topics forum

Please try not to start multiple topics abut the subject, thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
Looks good, there should be a lot of good times in your future