Buying a Winterized Boat?

Don't assume that it's OK because a broker is selling it. I did that. A year later I was rebuilding a rotten transom. Think "used car salesman"' not "broker." That is the sort of attitude you need.

Check it with a fine-tooth comb. If you get lucky and it's been well cared for, you should be able to see it.

Oh for sure.. I think we've all had those bad experiences. Thankfully this one is also a personal trusted friend. I'll update later after viewing.

Went for a look today. It's been sitting out. Covered mind you for a while. It was pretty dirty. My mechanic is going over it with a fine tooth comb. Hull is in good shape for a 30 year old boat. A couple of the canvas snaps have come off the hull. Other minor things like that.

Outdrive is in good shape. Brand new prop as well.
Fish and depth finder intact. Floor seems solid. Will have a better look tomorrow.

Engine needed some coaxing to get going. But got it running. Going to run a long test tomorrow.

Has a bow cover, cockpit cover and a sun/rain cover that's original but in decent shape.

It has posts for skiing. Hook for tubing, etc etc.

As long as the engine, throttle, bilge, guages check out during the test drive it should be good. Mostly cosmetic after that. Fixing trim that wasn't fixed etc. There is a cushion that will need a patch or replaced. And a storage door that will need replacing probably in a year.

There is a whole bag of replacement canvas snaps which is handy.

It's old. But it'll do. So far anyways.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1983 was rock solid and original. It is not about age it is about care.

I agree it is about care. When I read the above statement about rotting I just rolled my eyes. While it is possible older boats may be rotted out, if they have been cared for this is not always the case. After reading this forum for the past few months it had me very nervous about buying an older boat (1992 Sea Ray). But those age boats were all that were in my price range. I was a nervous wreck thinking it was going to be rotted out because of the year. When we went over the boat I couldn't find ANY rot or soft floors/wood/engine mounts etc anywhere on the boat. I ended up purchasing the boat and we are very happy. Then after the fact I went back and looked at my 89 Bayliner and couldn't find any rotting on it either. And it is a Bayliner that was in pretty rough shape compared to my new one.

This morning my mechanic found a major leak because it hadn't been winterized properly. So fortunately/unfortunately the search continues!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I agree it is about care. When I read the above statement about rotting I just rolled my eyes. While it is possible older boats may be rotted out, if they have been cared for this is not always the case. After reading this forum for the past few months it had me very nervous about buying an older boat (1992 Sea Ray). But those age boats were all that were in my price range. I was a nervous wreck thinking it was going to be rotted out because of the year. When we went over the boat I couldn't find ANY rot or soft floors/wood/engine mounts etc anywhere on the boat. I ended up purchasing the boat and we are very happy. Then after the fact I went back and looked at my 89 Bayliner and couldn't find any rotting on it either. And it is a Bayliner that was in pretty rough shape compared to my new one.

So this is the new rule, now that two memebers have found older boats with no rot, or at least none they've found yet, we can stop warning people to check very closely because there is little concern these old boats will have structural issues. Lets see how that works out for newbie boat buyers.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
So this is the new rule, now that two memebers have found older boats with no rot, or at least none they've found yet, we can stop warning people to check very closely because there is little concern these old boats will have structural issues. Lets see how that works out for newbie boat buyers.

I lucked out. After hanging on these forums for a while I was out looking for an aluminum hulled boat as a project. Boy did I find find, and quickly pass, on a *project* boat! A Spectrum that the owner says "just needs a replacement outdrive and you have a 6 or 7K value boat!". He had hit something at speed and ripped his lower off the upper, literally split the upper in half midway up the case! Well, even with all new drive his boat was gonna still be junk. From a distance you could see the deformity in the transom. I reached in and could literally pull handfulls of stringer and transom out. He never ever covered the boat (in Washington state), and Spectrum carpets everything. What a mess. I just told him too big a project for me, instead of telling him I would haul it off for a small fee.

I REALLY lucked out that the transom and structure on my Bluewater was in great shape when I bought it, as I had no real idea how to check it. 25 year old boat and I just pulled the 3.0L motor yesterday with the intention of dropping a V6 in it. I get to spend today making sure that my previous comment on how 'great' the wood is, is actually the real truth. Going to drill a bunch of holes and do a very thorough inspection before I double the horsepower.

ondarv, the conversation is so educational that by itself saves tens of thousands daily in unexpected repairs for forum readers. In my opinion it would even be worth a sticky - *how to inspect an older boat before purchasing*. It is truly an art and even after inspection, the best at it will miss stuff. Mechanical, electrical and the all important structural inspections. Anyone burned once is thrice wary, and pretty much everyone who is on a budget gets burned by something, or gets really really lucky.

Thanks for being on the forum and giving your advice.

RIck

Rick Stephens

Admiral
This morning my mechanic found a major leak because it hadn't been winterized properly. So fortunately/unfortunately the search continues!

Rob,

In my opinion, you are a genius to ask these questions on this forum before buying. Keep on keeping on. You'll end up with the perfect boat.

Thanks! I appreciate that. My mechanic may have jumped the gun a bit. Turns out the internal leak was not serious at all and he was able to quickly fix it. So he's running a whole other range of tests now to make sure he wasn't right the first time, but we'll see.

I'm skeptical, but if it can pass his tests, I'm confident in his evaluation. He's a very skilled and honest mechanic.

Got a better look at it today. Here's what I learned:

- The Floor is solid. Did a little bounce step all over - its pretty sturdy.
- The red carpet has a fairly big stain in the middle of it between the two primary seats. I'd like to see about removing the stain.
-There are a couple of rips in the upholstery. A tiny one on the back over the engine. Smaller than a dime. There is a larger one in one of the front bow seats, Looks like either something chewed it or it ripped on something. It's right in the side where it meets the back cushion so it's not that noticeable, but I also don't want to leave it and have it get wet, so I'll need to patch these.
- Now that the boat is clean and dry, it's a lot nicer. Stringers are fiberglass wrapped and seem in good shape.
- Transom is solid.
- Outdrive is in excellent condition, and has a brand new prop and hydrofoil.
- The boat has trim levellers on the back as well.
- The 120HP Mercruiser fires right up now, no hesitation at all.
- Bilge pump is NOT working, but he's going to work it to get it fixed.
- Still checking all the gauges and switches to see if they all work or see what doesn't. It has an auto-bilge function that we're not sure if it works yet.
- I will want to paint it probably over the winter or in the spring before it goes in the water. Just needs a fresh coat.
- Front red/green lights work, haven't check rear white yet, but we'll get it working.
- It's a little light on storage. There is some under the front seats, the anchor is up there now. There is some in the back in compartments next to the engine, and a small pocket on the back of each of the two swivel seats. Also a small glovebox but no side pockets.

I think that's it for now. Looking good.

My mechanic who is holding it for me and working a few things like the bilge etc. Has had like 4-5 offers to buy it. As much as 4000. Considering I'm only paying 1000, I'm pretty pleased with the situation.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ondarv, the conversation is so educational that by itself saves tens of thousands daily in unexpected repairs for forum readers. In my opinion it would even be worth a sticky - *how to inspect an older boat before purchasing*. It is truly an art and even after inspection, the best at it will miss stuff. Mechanical, electrical and the all important structural inspections. Anyone burned once is thrice wary, and pretty much everyone who is on a budget gets burned by something, or gets really really lucky.

Thanks for being on the forum and giving your advice.

RIck

Proof once again - Nobody reads stickies! It's been a stickie on top of this sub-forum for almost two years and is often referred to in threads like this,.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist