Buying a Winterized Boat?

Hey,

First time here, looking for a little advice.

I've been looking for a small boat for the family. We have a trailer up on a lake here in Ontario. In addition, I like to get out and fish with some of the guys. I don't have a super heavy duty vehicle to pull so I'm trying to keep it around a 16 footer or so.

Came across this link that I've added below.

Looks like what I'm looking for in the price range I'm looking for.

Quick details:
Private sale
Out of the water
Says it's in good condition and winterized.

There is my concern. Now it's still getting up to about 12-17 degrees celsius (about 55-60F)

Also waiting to see if he has a cover for it... since none of the pictures show one.

Would love to hear your thoughts. (Prices are in Canadian Dollars fyi - It would work about to be about 1100-1200 USD)

I could see if he'd be willing to let me test it and then re-winterize it.

Thanks,
Rob

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't think I would buy a used boat if I can't try it.

Don

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the seller has the motor tilted up like that, it isn't winterized correctly. That's a good way to crack the lower unit when water collects and freezes.

Winterizing an older outboard is fogging if you want, treat the fuel with Stabil or whatever and lower the motor all the way down. You can water test a winterized outboard 365 days of the year if the water is soft, lower the motor and your good to go. Fog if you want.

roffey

Commander
Winterizing a outboard motor is not a big deal. I'm in Ontario as well and I just took my I/O out this weekend and only because the water level was to low. I know people who fish right up to the freeze up. For an out board motor all you need to do is tilt the motor down. Taking off the prop, stabilizing the gas and fogging the motor are things you should do but will not stop a motor from freezing.

So, my 2 cents are if you want the boat lake test it. If the owner won`t drop it in the water they most likely have something to hid.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree with all of the above. The boat looks decent in the pictures, but if he doesn't have a cover for it... run away! You can even offer to "winterize" that outboard for him. Might take all of 5 minutes.

Great! Thanks so much for all the replies. Cover is definitely on the list of questions. The idea that it's sitting out scares me a bit. Didn't know about the tilt like that. All of my own boats to date have been human powered.

I'll see if he'll let me take it out.

I might have other boats to look at, so I might post other things ;)

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I've been on the selling end after boats are winterized (I/O's). If a buyer is serious and we agree on a price and handshake the deal pending sea trial, then I'll fire her up and sea trial if buyer wants. But has already been stated, outboards require a 5 minute winterization. (20 minutes if you change the gear oil. am I the only one who does that in the fall?)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
muskyfins;n10056444 But has already been stated said:
I do, but it's not winterization. I'm looking for maintenance work to do over the cold days.

Apparently had 2 offers of $1000 already. Not letting anyone test it - just wants it sold and gone. lol.

roffey

Commander
your not that far from me and I see lots of boats still in the water. 1k for that boat is not bad but.... if you have to replace the guts of the boat its a project and a big project. I think its strange he will not water test it. As mentioned earlier if you have the cash and say you will buy on a good lake test he is a fool for not wetting the boat.

There are a ton of lakes in your area. Its an hour out of his life and you'll be on the water in a boat. I would do it just for the fun of it. Give me an excuse to get out on the water.

Last edited:
So I definitely passed on that one. I was very much turned off not being able to even fire it up.

Turns out a friend of mine - who is a mechanic and long time boat owner has a friend who's selling a 1985 16' Sea Sprite deep v bow rider with a mercruiser 120hp I/O with an alpha one outdrive. They put about 2000 into it 2 years ago to fix it up. So now it runs smooth. He said it's been sitting for about a year but he'll clean the points and get it some fresh fuel to get it running and up to speed.

Best part is he's only wanting 1000cdn (750 usd) for it. Comes with a cover and was recently painted on the bottom.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
That Sea Sprite sounds similar to my first boat. That little 120 is a solid motor.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The boat will probably have a good deal of rotten wood, transom, motor mounts and stringers, any boat in this age range will most likely need this type of work. check it closely if you don't want a big project.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Good move on the pass. Be patient. Another one will be along...

The boat will probably have a good deal of rotten wood, transom, motor mounts and stringers, any boat in this age range will most likely need this type of work. check it closely if you don't want a big project.

Thankfully this is why I'm dealing with a reputable broker this time. My mechanic friend and I, and a second friend who spent the better part of 5 years working at a Marina will be going over this one tomorrow.

No Title

The bottom has since been painted grey to match, you can see the registration number had been redone between one shot and the other. We'll see how it feels tomorrow!

Attachments

• photo232188.jpg
    photo232188.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232189.jpg
    photo232189.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232190.jpg
    photo232190.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232191.jpg
    photo232191.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
My 1983 was rock solid and original. It is not about age it is about care.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thankfully this is why I'm dealing with a reputable broker this time. My mechanic friend and I, and a second friend who spent the better part of 5 years working at a Marina will be going over this one tomorrow.

Don't assume that it's OK because a broker is selling it. I did that. A year later I was rebuilding a rotten transom. Think "used car salesman"' not "broker." That is the sort of attitude you need.

Check it with a fine-tooth comb. If you get lucky and it's been well cared for, you should be able to see it.