Fuel tank questions??

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
My skiff has 2 20 gallon plastic fuel tanks under the front deck (casting platform) I do not thing there is any way to remove them without cutting a hole in the deck. They have old stale gas in them. Or at least they smell like they do. Is there a way for me to clean them out so they can be used? Also there is only 1 fuel line running from the front of the boat to the rear where the engine is. So the question is there must be some sort of T in the line where the other tank connects. How would that work? Would both be open to fuel all the time? Or should there be a shut off ?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
In dual tank setups like that, they are wither plumbed together through a hole near the bottom of the tank or there is some sort of valve to select which tank to get fuel from. The best way to clean the tank is to see if there are any access hatches through the deck to access the sending units. if nt, it is really easy to add those and well worth the time. You can remove the access hatch and clean the tank out from there.

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do have access hatches to get to the sending units. What do I use and how do I clean them out?

NYBo

Admiral
Remove the sending units and use a siphon to suck everything out. I had to do this a couple of weeks ago. A short piece of copper tubing attached to the hose I used allowed me to get to the very bottom of the tank.