bottom of boat leaks

noway@@23456

Recruit
First time asking a question. I do enjoy all the great info from your forum. In past, I have had and repaired several boats, interiors,some rivet repair, etc. Looking at a 18 ft Tyree 5.5, 1986 Lund, open bow alum boat. I really love it. The price seems very right. Good motor, many extras, needs some interior work, but, the bottom of boat (total length) leaks along the bottom. Owner had friend remove metal from bottom of boat and re rivet the entire length, using lund rivets. He says it leaks worse now then before. Bildge works about 15 min out of every 30 min. Owner has used it app 25 times this year. Do you think that I should steer clear or go for it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would avoid it personally. Plenty of non-leaky boats out there

However if I already owned it, I would probably tig weld the keel strip, coat the inside with either glove-it or rhino liner and stop the leaks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
keep looking.

Not worth the time money or headaches.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Lot of work to fix this one right, I would keep looking there are a lot of boats out there, especially in the fall, lots of people don't want to store them, so they sell them.

noway@@23456

Recruit
Thank you for your suggestions. I was on the fence, but you have helped me make up my mind. I will keep looking.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't just summarily dismiss it, especially if the price is stupid cheap. Unless it was subjected to some sort of unusual trauma I'm having a hard time envisioning a Lund with a leak that can't be fixed. Might be worth the risk. Have you looked at it?

64osby

Admiral
I wouldn't just summarily dismiss it, especially if the price is stupid cheap. Unless it was subjected to some sort of unusual trauma I'm having a hard time envisioning a Lund with a leak that can't be fixed. Might be worth the risk. Have you looked at it?

My thoughts also. A good coating of Gluvit or Coat-it can seal some pretty bad leaks.

noway@@23456

Recruit
I saw the boat today. The price was very right, had just about everything I was looking for. Motor was very nice, 90 hp Yamaha, ran great. Asked owner what the year was on title for motor. NO TITLE. Case closed. I will keep looking.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
If the price was that good, I'd consider buying it and then find a matching parts motor with a title or part out the good motor

lncoop

Vice Admiral
According to Ohio's boat registration info page you can't, but people find all sorts of ways around the rules. The owner should be able to obtain a title I would think.