Need help on choosing the right trim tabs

Fourwinns1

Cadet
I have a 2006 four winns funship 204. I would like to put power trim on to help it trim out but there are to many out there to chooses from. So I am looking for recommendations on what size they need to be, what brand to go with and Electric versus hydraulic witch is best. Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I am a Bennett fan, and Tabman will be by to help you figure out which ones. Ive used electric versus my hydraulic and found the electric respond too quickly which seems counter intuitive but really prefer the slower movements. You got a oic of your transom?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you go electric, ask how much a spare actuator costs.

It's not if it fails, it's when it fails.

A safety issue...a failed electric actuators can not be manually retracted. Not an issue on a lake. Could be a big issue in open water

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
I have a 2006 four winns funship 204. I would like to put power trim on to help it trim out but there are to many out there to chooses from. So I am looking for recommendations on what size they need to be, what brand to go with and Electric versus hydraulic witch is best. Thanks in advance for the help

Fourwinns1,

We make both electric and hydraulic systems and my rule of thumb is that if you keep the boa in the water long enough to require bottom paint, then the hydraulic system is the better choice. But we warranty both for five years.

Redneck Joe has a point about how fast electrics (other brands) can operate. So we made our electric system travel at about the same speed as our hydraulic system for ease of use.

There are other factors, since we can make smaller hydraulic actuators (rams) than electric ones, sometimes it is actually easier to fit a hydraulic system depending on the boat's transom configuration. The 10" x 12" M120 is a good example of this.

Speaking of transom configurations, your boat has an overhanging platform and I think a setback where the I/O is. Can you post a photo of the boat's transom? That way I can give you a better recommendation as to what will best fit.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I put the M120 on my searay and was extremely happy. My three recommendations for trim tabs are Bennett, Bennett, and thirdly Bennett.

In fact I made a mini version of the Bennett M120 for my Wooster Hellion. However they are 5" wide x 6-1/2" long and actuated with 9/16" bore stainless cylinder. Will also be using a Bennett HPU

Fourwinns1

Cadet
Thanks for all the response to the question. Here are a couple of pictures of the transom. It not my boat because it is an hour away so I just found some pictures on line of what it looked like. Let me know if you need more. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 1

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Thanks for the photos!

Can you please tell me the distance from the center line of the outdrive to the edge of the sponson as shown in the red arrow?

Fourwinns1

Cadet
Yes I will get that for you but it mite not be till next weekend because my boat is at the cabin an hour away. I will see if I can find it on line some where thanks