Call me crazy but . . .

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to put the boat in the water today even though the high temp is only expected to be 65F. The boat is new to me and my first boat so I'm dying to get it in thet water. I've been traveling and working out some of the logistics and this is the first weekend I've had available for boating. On the upside, it will be nice to be launching for the first time when no one else is around to rush me or watch me make a jackass of myself. I did a bit of practive trailering yesterday and did fine until trying to back the boat into my curved driveway :eek: that was a trip.

Wish me luck! I'll try to get a couple of pics but no promises :)

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Just take your time and bring a parka and snow pants you would be surprised at how cold the air is on the water

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
OK! You are crazy! Nah! Only foolin'. 65 is not a really low temp for boating but you may want to use long pants and some over clothes. It does get chilly in an open boat. In my younger days I would boat in water that had ice chunks floating. I also water skied with a wet suit in March here in the Northeast USA.. As recently as a couple of years ago I made a video of my little 10 foot go-fast in what I think I described as 50 degree weather.

SO: Have fun.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are doing the same thing! 65 for the high and cloudy. But we just picked up our new to us boat and have to get it in the water!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Highs in upper 60's and low 70's next week here.... Plan to be on the water a bunch and probably even spend a night or two.

IMHO some of the best boating is in the fall.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The die hards around here will boat until the lakes freeze over, then they put the boats away and grab the sleds to go ice fishing!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I'll probably be shoveling snow out of the boat while fishing before the water goes hard,..........

robert graham

Admiral
Find a nice big unoccupied parking lot(Walmart/Mall) and practice backing and parking that trailer....a little practice can go a long way when you get to the ramp!.....

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife almost talked me out of it but I think we're going to do it anyway. Can't wait to get out there.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Just remember: When backing, hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Turn the wheel and your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Do not make rapid or gross adjustments unless absolutely needed. Practice and get used to relying on your rear view mirrors. With straight backing. align the tow vehicle and trailer then with small adjustments of the wheel keep the trailer centered between the mirrors.

Initially you will need to go slow and think about what to do but eventually it will become second nature. When I stepped up from my S10 to my Silverado, because of the different turning radius, I needed a couple of weeks to re-learn to back up.

Last edited:

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: we made the decision to pull the plug on boating today. It's only going to get up to 60 AND its pretty windy. I'm not sure I want to try retrailering a boat for the first time in the wind. Tomorrow and Monday (I'm taking vacation) or supposed to be much better so I'm sure I'll bet out on the water at least once this weekend though the plan is to get out both days.

roffey

Commander
wait till you do the skeg drag across the boat ramp or forget to put the plug in, better yet leave the keys at home only to realize you don't have them when all are waiting at the dock for you to start the boa, LOL.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
wait till you do the skeg drag across the boat ramp or forget to put the plug in, better yet leave the keys at home only to realize you don't have them when all are waiting at the dock for you to start the boa, LOL.
You should give the guy some encouragement, not be so negative.

Cwazy....No. Sounds more wussy since its all the way up to 60 degrees.

A few years ago we bought a brand spanking new jetski in February at the boat show. We paid cash and my son and I split the cost. The plan was to share it.

March 30th was his birthday and boy was he anxious. The sun was shining and the temp had reached 60. Never mind that the water was still 35 and ice bergs were still coming down the mighty Niagara River.

Anyway, that was my most memorable boat ride ever. The ice actually was quite scattered. The women DID stay home. The beer kept us warm.

That was when I was middle aged and laid back. When I was young and foolish we often fished when there was ice forming on the OB motor's P'er. One time the ice clogged the launch ramp and we had to use the paddles to push them out into the river so we could tie up to the dock and back the trailer in.

Have fun and be safe...

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You should give the guy some encouragement, not be so negative.
It's all good! I think Roffey was just saying I shouldn't feel bad about my inexperience and that we all do stupid stuff now and again and we get over it.

NYBo

Admiral
I refuse to discuss your crazy butt in a family-friendly forum.:tape:

I fondly remember tooling around in my old bass boat and the marvelous sound made when I ran over a skim coat of ice at around 30 MPH.:facepalm: