Gas tank removal on Lowe 160

barrykala

Cadet
Before I start blind, has anyone removed a gas tank from a 1995 Lowe 160. I just purchased a used boat that has been setting up with old gas for three years. I need to empty the tank and also clean any trash that may be in it. Is there any trick I should know about or is it straight forward?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends, some boats have an access panel to get access to the whole tank, others bury the tank under the deck and you get an access panel only to the fuel sender and fill connections.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I removed a 76 gallon tank out of my old 88 Ambassador 255. Let me tell you, it was not easy. I suspected a leak so I drained all the gas out of it I could and then realized I could just remove an access panel in the aft cabin and lift it out....at least that was the way it looked. I had to cut a riser out of a step and about 4" of the firewall between the cabin wall and the engine. After all was said and done it took me 2 hours to get the tank out of the cabin and another 2 1/2 hours to get it back in. I lucked out and was able to weld it so it cost me $20 in aluminium brazing rods and my time.

If you are leaking make sure you get all the gas out. When I initially lifted the tank the hole in it opened up wider and dumped about 3 gallons of raw fuel into the bilge. I scrambled to disconnect the batteries before a spark blew me up. I THOUGHT a few gallons left swashing around in the tank could be dealt with on the dock...my mistake could have killed me so be careful and get ALL THE FUEL out before you do anything.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Whatever you do, do not use a shop vac to remove fuel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If it's only been setting 3 years there's no need to remove the tank.... Pump it out, install a good spin on fuel filter and fill with fresh gas... Done

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
might not be a bad idea to purge the tank with CO2 as well before you remove it. I have a homebrew kit and used the CO2 tank to fill the tank with it to avoid a flameout when I brazed the tank.

You cant be too safe with gasoline