What kind of boat am I about to purchase...

cwu8six

Cadet
A family friend is selling me the following boat for $500 with the motor. I'm assuming for $500 I can't go wrong, but I'm curious as to what I'm about to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
FOT845 (7).jpg FOT251 (6).jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The time honored question - Whay does the paperwork say?

cwu8six

Cadet
If I had the paperwork I would certainly know what kind of boat I'm about to purchase. I'm actually purchasing it from an 80 year old lady who doesn't have a camera phone, thus I can't easily ask her to send a pic of the paperwork etc. I've been searching around on the internet to no avail. Thanks for your time

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If I had the paperwork I would certainly know what kind of boat I'm about to purchase. I'm actually purchasing it from an 80 year old lady who doesn't have a camera phone, thus I can't easily ask her to send a pic of the paperwork etc. I've been searching around on the internet to no avail. Thanks for your time
Um, could you ask the 80 y.o. lady to read the info from the paperwork to you over the phone?

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sure you're getting tired of all of the smart alec answers you are receiving. So let me tell you in all seriousness, sir, what you have there is an old, red, closed bow boat with a Johnson outboard motor and a dark red single axle trailer. For additional details you probably will need to consult with the 80 year old woman.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It looks like a TeeNee trailer. To the right person, it might be worth more then the boat, possibly the boat and motor.

Can't help w/ the maker of the boat, but the 1 photo isn't enough to positively ID it. Now that someone has said it's a Playboy, as far as I can tell, it certainly reminds me of other Playboys I remember seeing.

You could go look thru all the fiberglass boats posted here and see if it looks really similar to one maker's boats.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Judging by the hull shape and the "tumblehome" transom design it is a late '50s to early '60s hull. Probably rated for a 40 HP outboard. The Johnson looks newer and it they were a package when purchased new, then the hull could be early '70s but not later. If you simply can not get the old lady, look it up in fiberclassics.

It should be too old to have a title but if she does not have any of the other paperwork, the even at 500 it is not a good buy. With paperwork and cleaned up. it is a nice looking boat and yes, you can not go wrong.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
A family friend is selling me the following boat for $500 with the motor. I'm assuming for $500 I can't go wrong, but I'm curious as to what I'm about to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

From what I can see here, it looks like $500 is OK. Heck, it's possible it's a real find. I think it depends mostly on your desire to have, and work on, something like that. Looks pretty cool to me though. But really, if you give a little more info there's some great folks on here that will help you out as much as possible

64osby

Admiral
I don't see any registration numbers on the boat. Might have redone and never put back on the water. :confused:

Looks very clean, both hull and motor. It would be worth $500 IMHO. The only issue would getting the boat legal depending on what state you live in.

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
It looks like a TeeNee trailer. To the right person, it might be worth more then the boat, possibly the boat and motor.

Really, what makes the trailer desirable? I'll be selling a boat next spring and was going to swap trailers and put it on the TeeNee. It's going to be a near giveaway deal so may need to rethink the trailer issue.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some value having a vintage trailer under a vintage boat, and that winch post on that trailer appears to be a TeeNee winch post. Mid 50's style.

I know of at least 3 TeeNee's for sale that have been redone. 2 are asking $1K and the other is being offered to members of our online group, by another member, for $750.

shrew

Lieutenant
The boat has a wheel and back seats. The Johnson has a tiller handle. I'm not sure those were intended to be married together.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Yea, I don't think that motor ever went on that boat. If the boat is dry and the motor runs, it would be worth your $500.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No you can't go wrong for $500. Motor/trailer are worth more..............

cwu8six

Cadet
Thanks for the information everybody... here are a couple more pictures of the boat

FOT1D68 (6).jpg FOTA71E (5).jpg

Ned L

Commander
Both the outboard and the boat look to be nice and clean. I would agree on early 60's - 50's for the boat. Newer for the outboard, probably 70's. taken care of that engine will run forever, and parts should be of little problem. If is really as nice as it looks I think the price is a REAL good deal.