Drink holders

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
Want to replace my old plastic recessed drink holders in my center console with new stainless steel ones. The new ones require a larger diameter hole, not quite a 1/2" larger than the current ones. The fiberglass is about 1/4" thick. Any suggestions on what the proper tool would be to tackle this project ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would put some tape down and draw a ring around the existing hole using the new upside down cup holder as a template. The ring will be larger than you need. Use a Dremel to trim the opening, doing test fits along the way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a cordless drill with a rotary file chucked in it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Make a good template and use that as the guide to draw a good line around your present opening. Then take a little trim router and a straight cutting bit and go slow and easy your way just up to the marked line. You could cut the new opening in a mere minute or less... JMHO!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
you could use a hole saw. You find a saw that fits the opening you have, turn it upside down, and insert the correct size saw over the inverted one. It works as a guide to keep the saw from wandering. Done it a few times.

airshot

Rear Admiral
What ever method you choose to use, please wear a good mask so you don't breathe in that nasty fiberglass dust as it will cut up your lungs from the inside!!

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like Grubbs plan Turn slow , backwards thru the gel coat.

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
No Title

Got it done with rotary file on my cordless drill and the Dremel. Came out nice but sure made a mess. Used a mask & good safety glasses. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• photo232065.jpeg
    photo232065.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks like the cup holders came from the factory. :thumb:

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I replaced the plastic ones that came in my boat with the new SS ones, they were the same size hole and they were standard cup holders. You've got yours in now so that doesn't matter.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice quality fit. You've done good. :thumb: I have four of those same type to install myself. Did you install the drainage hose on the bottom of them or are they just open to the floor? :noidea: