What if I move my fuel tank and batteries mid ships?

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been on the hunt for my "next boat" for, I bet 1/2 the season.
So far "THE boat" has eluded me!
If you search this site you'll see I'm all over like a rash!
So maybe I'll "modify" this one and see is she can be a better boat, (I have a history of modifing things until I turn things to sheet)!:laugh:
My present boat, a 1991 Grumman UH 184 SF with a 70 'Rude (VRO) hangin off the back with a 5 HP 4 stroke Honda trolling motor, a #55 E-lectric troller on the bow. Boat and motor weigh in @ 900#, I figure with troller motor(s), all my sheet, fuel, she must go @ #1200.
I have a pair of deep cycle batteries with a battery switch aft under the "curtain".
The main problem with this boat is the 22 gallon fuel tank is in the bow, so she's always bow heavy.
I got to thinking driving to a job site...........................
If I take a pair of 5-6 gallon plastic tanks, make a long storage box (picture a "T" with the base part facing the bow), mount it under the drivers seat ,extending across to the passenger seat, (get new seat post mounts to mount the seat on. You lift the seat base section (on a hinge),of the box to get at the tank).
The "T" would be divided into 3 sections.........
Left tank, right tank, (tanks hooked in series so the engine pump can pull from both tanks or just a switch, or unhood one to hook to the other- tanksplumbing ideas to be made up as I go along), and the 3rd section would be the 2 batteries, (put a vents in the battery section) .
I have a good size tackle/tool box/step where the bow step up is now (see pic it's the brown wooden box), that's where the batteries will be.
The idea being I can centralize the weight in the boat.
Not much to make, plywood, some paint, a couple hinges to access the fuel tanks and battery.
Am I thinking too much?
​When i sailed I tried to keep the weight a mid ships and as low as I could, the boat always sailed better.
I can't put the tank mid ships under the floor, my stud finders tells me there is no clear area, ribs are just in the way.
If I put 10 gallons aft, it'll make it aft heavy with the batteries.
Thoughts? Ideas? Jokes?
Joe
Winter is long and cold, best time to "tinker with the boat!

Attachments

• IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I would say that making it aft heavy is better than bow heavy for sure. Also less fuel line, your plan of a T might work. Be interested to see what the guys in the resto section would say.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
what is wrong with weight in the bow ?

If I dont have the "heavy" people or heavy gear up in the front , sometimes my boat will take forever to get up on plane , as soon as the weight gets shifted up front she jumps up on plane.

too much weight in the back .... wont that make it squat like crazy ?

I am not being smart or anything , just curious about the reasoning

airshot

Rear Admiral
The question here is how much is to much and how little is to little!! Only real life experimenting will know for sure. So many things depend on unkowns so just empty that 22 gallon tank then experiment with a couple portable tanks and a couple batteries, move them around and see what happens. A few bungie cords will hold things in place temporarily while you experiment.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
If this idea had hit me a few weeks ago, I'd be moving "stuff" @ like a mad man on the water.
But, sadly, I had the chance to get my boat home, (230 mile tow from Clayton NY to Scranton Pa.) for next to nothing (and no wear n tear on my truck, free U haul rental), and took it.
So the boat is sitting in the drive way.
(There is a lake by me "Lake Wallenpalpac" but after the clear, clean, water of the St Lawrence, dropping her in the YUK! green water of the Palpac doesn't excite me at all)!!
Like all good "anal" maintenance guys, my tank is topped off as much as that can hold, and a quick inventory of my "empty" gas can tells me I'm a can er 2 er 3 short! (I use non e gas for my bike, so each time I go up, I fill my cans and sneak it over the border)!
Given this is a light boat, and the fuel and batteries are 1/5 the total weight of the boat, add 2 A-dults and that close to 1/2 the boats weight, it makes sense to "balance the boat"
I found some good info on line, (much WAY over my head), and no pics:blue: on boat balance.
Seems I'm not in the fog with the idea.
Presently I have a hydro foil on my "Little 'Rude that Can" and a 4 blade prop.
I'm not a "slam it WOT from idle" throttle guy, but easy on it, ramp up the rpm nice and easy.
It does get on plane well, fast, but I have to play with the trim as I ramp it up.
At rest, she does sit bow down a bit, more than one other boater has commented to me about that.
I FEEL if I get that what? 130# out of the bow, she will ride bow up a bit, slice through the water a bit better.
On average I use @ 5 gallons every month er so, so fuel isn't really a issue, (actually be easier instead of hooking the boat trailer to what ever I rode up in, I just pop the tanks out, run to the non E gas station and top them off).
Joe
Will I win the "Nobel Peace"Prize" for this AWESOME idea?
I sure hope so!!

64osby

Admiral
As a test you could add twice the current battery weight to your bow location and determine if just moving the batteries would give you the net effect you are looking for.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well...........
Progress and reality check...........
It started by the bow area carpet had a rip in it that ALWAYS caught my foot.
I was going to wash the boat out, take a razor, cut the carpet out and paint the floor non skid like the P.O. did in the aft section.
8 screws later and the floor was out? on the driveway.
The tank is a 18 gallon tank.
I washed the boat, THEN with it all soaking wet went and got my tape measure!
I had gone on E bay and got the sizes of 6, 9, 12, 18 gallon tanks.
The batteries will fit nice between the windshield were the tackle box was.
The 9 gallon tanks will fit nice under each seat, like cuddies and such with the back to back seats, (the "T" is out, be a weird drop off right under the dash).
But, sadly, when I measured the height (including the lid of the box, the seats would be 3"-4" taller above the windshield than they are now.
No matter how I turned, measured, thought, the seat height would be too tall.
and in reality, I'm moving the fuel back 28". (I thought the tank was right at the bow)
I think not enough to make a real difference.
Well, I thought it was a good idea............
Plan #2- move batteries to starboard side so the batteries AND the trolling gas motor are on different sides.
Joe
I just can't leave well enough alone!!