Teak oil

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a teak swim platform and I would like to apply teak oil to restore/preserve it a bit. My concern is that it will get very slippery. Is that a reality or does the oil soak in for the most part?

southkogs

Staff member
The oil will soak in significantly. The wood grain will still be pretty apparent when you're touching it.

oldjeep

Admiral
They get awful slippery until the teak oil has a chance to soak in.

roffey

Commander
I used a product that first cleaned the teak and then to put the teak oil on and the results were amazing and the teak was not slippery. I did let it dry or soak in for a day but the wood looked new. Not sure if I can post the product here or not.

robert graham

Admiral
Probably best to clean the teak with some fine wire wool and then apply the teak oil on a hot, sunny day so the hot sun can sorta "cook" the oil into the wood....if there's any excess oil left on the wood surface after baking in the sun then a short rub with wire wool will remove it so it's not slippery.....

roffey

Commander
I always use a pressure washer on old dirty teak.

I used a pressure washer on the teak I had and it made a mess. The pressure washer seemed to take out more than just the dirt and it did leave dirt on the wood and looked to have pushed it deeper into the wood. Just my finding, I normally learn the hard way and am just passing on life's lessons, LOL.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you use Steel wool on it, you may imbed steel fibers in to the wood. They will rust and leave specs in the wood. Use bronze wool for any exterior wood, It won't rust and leave behind any rust marks if it does get in there a bit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or use the green 3M scrub pad from the kitchen sink (just dont put it back in the kitchen)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
My swim platform and ski locker are both teak, and had been neglected for about 20 years. I completely sanded the ski locker down with various grades of sand paper until it looked like new, and I used a pressure washer on the swim platform. After a couple coats of helmsmans varnish, they both look identical! Of course, YMMV. I think the biggest thing is to let the teak dry out well after pressure washing it, don't try doing anything after you just forcefully injected that much water.

boatman37

Lieutenant
the PO of my boat replaced all the teak with Trek decking. looks very good and he gave me all the old teak. i am thinking about restoring the teak and putting it back on. although the trek decking looks good i like the teak