Should I get it?

Kadentheboatlover

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying this boat it's a 18 1/2ft tri hull with a straight six 165 mercruiser. It's perfect for what I'm trying to do as in the hull and horse power. However, the guy I'm buying it from is a crook and I don't want to overlook anything :p . Can you guys suggest some things to look for ... and how to find the particular thing you suggest. Don't have any special tools just a socket set. You're help would be greatly appreciated :)

Kaden Faris
Where land ends life begins!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

No pic yet. How are you posting pics?

aspeck

Staff member
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...er-s-checklist

Here is a thread that gives you a good check list of things to look for when buying a boat. After reading it, if you have any other questions, let us know and we will do our best to answer them.

Oh, and welcome aboard! Lot's of great advice on these boards!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There ya go, Kaden.

What brand is she. A big, big cabin inside.

southkogs

Staff member
Looks kinda' like the Silverline Antigua, but that's not it.

You're gonna' have to look it over real hard. The I6 250 is a great engine to work on, and will rehab pretty easily. The rest all depends on condition. It's lookin' a lot like a project boat.

I'm kinda' partial to tri-hulls, and the weirder they are the more I typically like 'em.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My biggest concern is interior rot in the hull, she an old glass boat and has seen some crude repairs. If engine runs decent and has good compression then that is an easy fix, however that old hull has a plywood substructure that is probably rotten....I would really be carefull !!! Cool looking boat though !!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can count on it needing a total stringer and transom rebuild, so it will be a good sized project. It just depends on the price, your expectations, plus wanting to take on the challenge of a big project.

Kadentheboatlover

Seaman Apprentice
I know of a soft spot in front of the engine :p but it was wondering if you guys could tell me what brand of boat she is? And what to check on the engine and how to check it :) all this information is really helpful thank you.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The title should say the brand, if it doesn't have a title then that's another hurdle, in some states a good sized one. As for the motor, since it's a salt water boat consider it needing a rebuild and most other items replaced too. Without more info from you or the seller it sounds like a free or near free boat.

(Just notice you're in BC, not sure on getting a new title there.)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Although the boat is a nice old fashioned and different design DO NOT BUY IT!

The operating phrase is " The guy I am buying it from is a crook" Whether he is or is not, it is your perception of him that counts. You will never be happy. Either you will think you got a bad deal or every thing that is wrong is his fault because he never disclosed it.

NO boat needs to be bought. There is always another one for sale down the road or river

Kadentheboatlover

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all so much for your concern, I will certainly proceed with caution. In the mean time however anything you can suggest as to to the boats make, model or how to find common problems with simple tools would be very much appreciated :) on another note the price of the boat is 1000$ Canadian or approximately 750$ American so I'm willing to fix it up a little.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It might be a wise expenditure to hire a mechanic to check over the motor and outdrive for you before you hand over any money on the deal. There are lots of marine mechanics in Naniamo, you could phone a couple for a price and see if it's worth it to you. Good luck! Really cool looking boat!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are a couple of threads here on the same type boat, or at least one that is very similar, but sorry, I don't remember the titles or the OP's name. Look in the tri hull forum.

Again, the title will have the make and model, no title means more issues. There should also be a hull identification number located on or near the transom, that will identify the builder.

Kadentheboatlover

Seaman Apprentice
The mechanic is a great idea and I would absolutely do that ... If I could afford it :( however I am hoping I can do a few things myself that could determine what shape the engine is in. I know the guy just rebuilt the carbs and put on a working leg from another boat. So both the leg and carbs are in good shape, but does anyone know what other things I should check and if so how to check them?