Ignition key won't turn . . .

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 1985 Wellcraft last weekend and saw it start and run. When I got it home I took the key out of the ignition to use the other key to open the glove box and when I put the key back in the ignition I could not get it to turn. I asked the PO and he said he never took they key out of the ignition and didn't ever have this problem. Any ideas why I am having thi troubel and what I can do about it? I will try applying a bit of WD40 to see if that frees it up but I'm looking for any tips or experiences you may have.

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
P.s. The lower unit was all the way up. Don't know if there is a locking mechanism or something when the LU is not down.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
definitely put some sort of lube in the lock. Not sure WD40 is the best for a lock though. Pulling the key out likely pushed some of the tumblers up and they may be stuck in the up position.

There is no interlock.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
worst case you spring $20 for a new ignition switch and key.

roffey

Commander
,, and you tried it both ways, right side up and upside down. I know it sounds stupid as the key does not have a right side up but I don't know how to say it, LOL.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
,, and you tried it both ways, right side up and upside down. I know it sounds stupid as the key does not have a right side up but I don't know how to say it, LOL.

What he said.....

Don't remember where but just saw this be the problem in another thread, key needed flipped 180?.

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, everyone, for your respones. It turns out the problem is that the boats new owner is an idiot. :facepalm: I would prefer not to elaborate further because of just how stupid I was being.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Oh, come on, give us the details, man. Not like any of us haven't done that sort of thing. Regularly. :D

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh, come on, give us the details, man. Not like any of us haven't done that sort of thing. Regularly. :D
Well ... okay. I was using the wrong key. I swear I tried the right key earlier in the week and it would not even fit into the ignition but this time it slid right in. Like I said, pretty stupid. But also good to know I don't have a more serious problem.