How big fuel tank????

Christian1973

Recruit
Hello. I'm new to the forum, can anyone tell me how big the gas tank is on a 96 sea nymph SC170? I just bought it and the gauge doesn't work so before I go about the trouble of finding out the hard way I just thought Id try and ask, doesn't hurt.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Christian. I moved your post to a new Topic rather than you post to an old one. When you have ?s it's best to start your own Topic...

Thanks
WIMUSKY

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It would be best to look at the tank and see if it is listed. Usually there is a hatch over the tank to allow access to the sender. Sometimes the capacity is listed. Second best is to measure the tank and calculate the volume. Third best is to guess.

My '98 21 footer Outboard boat has a 63 Gal tank. My '88 18' I/O boat had a 35 G tank. Yours will likely be in-between, say 35 - 45G.

Christian1973

Recruit
WIMUSKY, thank you very much and I will make sure I do that from now on and Chris1956 thanks for the advice. This will be my first ever attempt at remodeling something like this. Jumping in with both feet.

alldodge

Staff member
Hello. I'm new to the forum, can anyone tell me how big the gas tank is on a 96 sea nymph SC170? I just bought it and the gauge doesn't work so before I go about the trouble of finding out the hard way I just thought Id try and ask, doesn't hurt.

If you gauge doesn't work its easy enough to figure out if the issue is either power, gauge or sender.
Check for 12V at the gauge with the key ON.
If no 12V look for a bad connection or blown fuse
If you have 12V connect a jumper to the S connection (should be a pink wire) to ground. Grounding the S terminal should cause the gauge to peg full.
If gauge does not peg you probably need a gauge
If gauge does peg, go to the tank sender and ground the pink wire at the tank, gauge should peg again.
If it does not peg check or replace the pink wire.
If it does not peg its your sender

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Christian1973. I had the same issue when I bought my 98 Renkin SeaMaster. I was told it has a 30 gallon tank. Problem was it had half a tank of gas according to the gauge and it took 28 gallon of fuel. Something wasn't right. Either my gauge was way off, or my tank was bigger than thought. I removed the hatch in the center of my boat, which covered the tank sending unit, and there in big bold letters it said 50 gallon capacity. I would suggest going that route first. If you can find out for yourself, it is better than believing someone else.

Good luck!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Christian - I found a pic of a 1995. Do you have the 2 round access ports in the deck? Often under those are the sender and hose connections, with a capacity label often near the sender. Not always, but quite often. Maybe you can be lucky as aspeck was.

sn17.PNG

Christian1973

Recruit
Yes I do, and I managed to get them open and the corrosion I found on the top of the send unit was phenomenonal (salt water is an amazing thing). I am going to attempt to clean everything up as a first step and if that doesn't work I'll proceed as suggested with testing the gauge and then the sending unit itself. I'll keep ya's posted.