Thoughts on a '98 Starcraft 18' center console?

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Always the guy looking for my NEXT boat............
Presently I'm fishing out of a '91 Grumman UH 184 SF.
Not a bad boat, but not the best for the waters I'm fishing in (I'm on the St. Lawrence).
It's "happier" in protected water, but does a pretty good job on the river, (I get off as soon as the "sheep" come- white caps).
I saw a '98 Starcraft 18' Center console for sale in Clayton C.L.
I dunno I just like a center console.
This hull has a deeper "V' to slice through the water, a higher water board to keep the water out on bad times.
Is a C.C. a wet ride? Is it a cold ride, (I can hunker down behing the console on the Grumman and keep MOST of the cold wind off me, (and more important my spouse).
Thought?
Comments?
Joke?
Joe
So many boat, so few $$

southkogs

Staff member
I like center console boats, but I'm finding that more and more I like the idea of a walk around. That would perhaps help you with some of the cold ...

64osby

Admiral
A pic of your Grumman would be nice to see where your at right now.

I'm a big fan of Starcraft Mariners. Love our 21'er.

On 18's the windshield was optional for most years. Find ours to be a dry ride for the most part.

We have a Dodger cover for the bow, came with the boat. My daughter loves it, She thinks it is cold if it's under 80. The dodger does a great job blocking the wind and the sun.

fetch

Another member posted a pic of a Mariner set up to really keep the wind and water at bay.

22cca.jpg

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here is a pic of my "Fish Killer" now.
I LOVE the Trophy walk @, but, I got the Grumman cuz she can drift into 1' of water, ("rude up), and I think the Trophy can't.
The Dodger is a nice touch, (my spouse is like your daughter, if the temp is below 80 she as a sweatshirt on)!
It LOOKS like it has everything we need.......
A "deeper "V" than the Grumman, high water boards, the 'Rude 90 for fuel sipping, (ours is a 70 'Rude). Shallow draft.
Price is in the ball park ($3300) with trailer.
Maybe I'll give the owner a call, if it's still there, (that's been my problem, find a boat,by the time I get there it's just gone!), run a comprsssion test and see how she runs and looks......
Joe

Attachments

• photo231059.jpg
    photo231059.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo231060.jpg
    photo231060.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
For staying a little warmer and drier, a windshield like you have on a bigger boat might be better.

airshot

Rear Admiral
That center consol is a nice boat, probably a bit more seaworthy than your current model but not by a great amount. Yes it is wider and deeper but in big water that little difference won't seem like much. I really liked mine for fishing, probably the best boat I owned for that purpose but the wet ride made me change my mind further down the road. I also had the dodger up front and used it quite a lot. I boat the great lakes out of ohio and now own a 22' starcraft islander and really like it for the big water. Center console's make a great fishing platform but as a recreational boat they lack a lot to be desired. I would think "bigger" for your next boat if it were me.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks!
This is why I ask questions here, get the straight skinny pro's and cons! Great Site!! :laugh:
My first thoughts is BIGGER, but I went that route on my last boat (Silver Line 22' cuddy. Great rough water boat, but...).
We like the idea of getting into the shallows with the boat we have now, (I've learned that the St. Lawrence has a lot of "Hard Water"! Your in 80' one second, 2' the next)!!!
I like the idea of being able to "fish @" on a C.C., bt like to duck down behind my windshield.
I guess I'll stick with what I have til "Boat Lust" come up again!
Joe
So many boats, so few $$