lots of firsts tonight...

boatman37

Lieutenant
well went down to the boat tonight for what was supposed to be a short time on the boat. went a little up river and dropped the anchor for the first time. sat around about 20 minutes and heard a call on the radio for a disabled boat on the ohio river. waited till he called a 3rd time with no response from anyone so i asked where he was. he was about a 2 or 3 miles from us so we pulled anchor and headed towards him. he was in a 19' open bow four winns IO. said it just quit running on him. and he was by hisself on the boat. so we hooked up and towed him back to the launch where his truck was. it was pretty dark by the time we got him back. i only went about 7 mph then about 5 in the no-wake zone. he offered us gas money but i refused it.

so it was the first time using our new VHF radio, first time anchoring up, first time towing a disabled boat, and while we have been out at night we had never been out when it was this dark. the anchoring went fine, the standard horizon GX1700 worked fine, and the old sea ray pulled him fine. temps never flinched. water stayed under 160*

which leads to a question....when you tow another boat how fast do you usually go? i was doing 7.5mph at about 2000 rpm and i could feel it was back there. another question, when he called he asked if i had a beacon? i assume he meant the ability to receive his coordinates? i do but based on his description of where he was it wasn't hard to find him

ziggy

Admiral
good story man. and ya did good too, imho. i'm sure your good deed will not go unnoticed. most likely, someday, you'll need the help and the good karma will return to you... i've towed in several folks, some offer money, i never accept. i've been towed in once or twice too. the karma came back to me.
as for speed when towing. i just usually go slow. no wake, slower ya go, less stress there is. more speed there is, the more stress on things there are. use yer ski to eyes, tie down eyes for towing. not cleats,

don't know about yer other question. i got vhf for runnin the missouri, but have never had to use it, yet. good thing ya had yours and it worked to someones benefit.....
again, good job......

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Ya did great and when I've towed people in I've always gone slow 7.5mph is the max speed I would tow at

RGrew176

Commander
I have been both the tow-er and the tow-ee. When I am towing someone I am usually towing at hull speed. That seems to work best for me.

Last edited:

shrew

Lieutenant
I wouldn't tow above headway speed. A beacon would most likely be a spotlight.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have towed and been towed, never gone above no wake speed.

roffey

Commander
I have only towed one boat in. He offered be cash for the gas I used and I refused it. The passenger in my boat accepted the cash when I was out of the boat getting my truck. He gave me the money on the way home saying the guy gave it to him as I wouldn't accept it, :facepalm:

Thalasso

Commander
Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
cool. what marina? i'm at captains quarters

Next one down on the outside slip. Blue on white FourWinns 288. Name is on the stern
Where are you going next season? I here she is closing up because of the tax

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
trying to get in where you are but haven't had any luck getting ahold of mike. I heard he is in Canada for 6 weeks. yeah, sucks about CQ closing down. they are still trying to work something out but I don't want to wait around and still be standing when the music stops

I have a 1986 sea ray sundancer 250. all white (including camper top) with blue striping. 'TimeOut'

Thalasso

Commander
trying to get in where you are but haven't had any luck getting ahold of mike. I heard he is in Canada for 6 weeks. yeah, sucks about CQ closing down. they are still trying to work something out but I don't want to wait around and still be standing when the music stops

I have a 1986 sea ray sundancer 250. all white (including camper top) with blue striping. 'TimeOut'

He is back.Talked to him past Fri.when i was pulling the ski. We went to Deep Creek and it was cooooold and rainy.
Were supposed to get some high water today/tonight

If you can't get in the only other place might be is Waters Edge

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
Thanks for that. I will try to call mike again. I looked at river harbor too but its so far down. take a tank of fuel to get out of no wake...lol. but it is nice there

bassman284

Commander
Yeah, 7.5 is plenty fast for towing. I can't tow that fast with mine because it would be trying to climb on plane. About 6 for me.

boatman37

Lieutenant
7.5 was the fastest i could go without trying to start climbing. anything over that and i would have been looking at the sky