Ladder problems

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Finishing off my restoration project. I would like to have a accessible hatch directly below the ladder which is smack in the way. Any ideas out there to alter to ladder base to allow access to the hatch below. Seen a lot of good ideas on here and hope to again with this. Building a wooden ladder is what I'm looking at. See below for pictures.

Last edited:

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

My bad here they are

Attachments

• photo230886.jpg
    photo230886.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230887.jpg
    photo230887.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
I think you will need to provide some more info on what you are trying to do. Your pictures look to be upside down.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Flipped the pics;

lad2.PNG

lad1.PNG

Will the ladder be suspended or resting on the deck?

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Not to familiar with the ladders. If I could suspend it that would solve the problem. But not sure what I need or do to accomplish that. Or where to look for the hardware to adapt it. Now if I mount the ladder to the floor it's right on top of the hatch I would like to access. So no hatch?

64osby

Admiral
I gather this is the 1976 21' Fiberform with flybridge. Pic of the overall boat might help.

For that hatch to be accessible the side supports of the ladder would have to bend in towards the cabin. Or cut it off and install an angled brace.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Good call on the boat and year. Any idea where to buy some 45 degree elbows base plates and some pipe?

64osby

Admiral
I'd look at the local hardware, big box or plumbing supply for a few ideas.

you could also cut a couple pieces of wood that would support the bottom step and frame, rest on the deck and face flush on the cabin wall. Something that looks like a half of a trapezoid.

GA_Boater

How high is the bulkhead the ladder is leaning on? And how sturdy is the bulkhead?

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I don't know why my pics are sideways or upside down. Sorry. But my bridge is 4.5 feet above the deck and the ladder is connected up top by four pipes and its solid.

Attachments

• photo230917.jpeg
    photo230917.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Only a little rotate this time;
lad3.PNG

On top on the railing you could add two vertical supports. These are to stop the ladder from sliding down the upper vertical railing.

On the bottom, add two angled supports from the bottom rung support to the fixed deck.

I would use tubing the same size as the existing railing and you might need to play with railing hardware for the right angles on the deck end.

And to get clearance for the hatch, the ladder is going to need to be shortened. Does the ladder clear the side hatch?

Attachments

• lad3.PNG
    lad3.PNG
    593.4 KB · Views: 0

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Only a little rotate this time;

On top on the railing you could add two vertical supports. These are to stop the ladder from sliding down the upper vertical railing.

On the bottom, add two angled supports from the bottom rung support to the fixed deck.

I would use tubing the same size as the existing railing and you might need to play with railing hardware for the right angles on the deck end.

And to get clearance for the hatch, the ladder is going to need to be shortened. Does the ladder clear the side hatch?

Those are great ideas for the vertical supports up top and the bottom supports. Especially up top never thought of that. Going to see the local boat upholstery guru to order fittings and some pipe Monday morning. Now on a humerous note sir you had me out in my boat with a flashlight checking to see if I could open my new side hatch with out hitting the ladder lol. I had not considered the ladder when building thE side hatches, it was stuffed in the cabin. I just stuck it up there today to figure out the bottom hatch. But it does push forward enough when properly positioned to allow opening the side hatch. But that is a helluva observation on your part. Thank you very much and more great examples of why this board is so helpful.

GA_Boater

You could have waited 'til daylight to check. :smile:

If you decide to go with the bottom angles, you can make then short enough to suck the ladder toward the bulkhead for good side hatch clearance.

A cheap way to shorten the ladder is to move the top connectors up closer to the horizontal railing. Repositioning the rungs might be needed then. For every change there is an offsetting reaction. It always works that way. :blue:

64osby

Admiral
Almost looks like you could pull the ladder off and shorten the depth of it, pulling it in closer to the cabin. Mount it and be done with it.