Opininions on a Four Winns Horizon 180 boat.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What you guys think about getting the shop to check everything over with compression test and stuff.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is my 2 pennies worth. I bought a boat earlier this year out of the guys driveway. We started it up and it ran fine on muffs. When I put it in the water it wouldn't go over 20mph. Now luckily I was able to buy a manual and get it working correctly after replacing a few minor items and a new prop. I think I got lucky but it was a BIG lesson learned.

I am now buying a better nicer boat tomorrow. I went over every square inch of this new boat AND took it out on the water last Saturday. We have looked at a ton of boats in the last 4 weeks and I can't believe how many are winterized already. If you really want that boat (and by the pics it looks great for the price - but pics don't mean anything I have found out first hand) make them unwinterize it and take it out on the water.

I personally would go look at it and if it something you really want discuss what price you are wiling to pay. Once that is agreed upon tell him you will follow through pending a test run on the lake and after it has been checked out.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
What you guys think about getting the shop to check everything over with compression test and stuff.

We were ready to buy our first boat a couple of years ago, but we asked to have a mechanic at the local marina look it over (since I was a new boater and didn't know anything). For about $230US, we learned that while the engine compression was good, the gimbal bearing was failing, several parts (alternator, starter) had been replaced using non-marinized, automotive versions, and most importantly, that there was evidence in the engine compartment that the boat had been underwater. That was the best $230 we ever spent. Of course, we passed on the boat.

Before we had the boat looked at, we were a bit apprehensive about spending that much to check out a $7000 boat, but it saved us thousands. If you have a competent person to look at the boat, and if you're new to this, I think it's a good investment before you buy.

superbenk

Commander
Sorry, my comments on price were based on USD, not CAD. $6k USD for a boat that is *actually* in decent condition at that age makes sense to me - I'd even consider it a steal if it was really nice. Still, you need to give it a thorough inspection & I agree that a sea trial for something that age is a must.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for not updating my post in a long time. So I took my chances in October 2015 and bought the boat without a sea trial. Finally got a chance to take the boat out 4 weeks ago and wow what a difference in power going from a 3.0L to a 4.3L. Runs excellent and the shifting into gear is Soo smooth with the Volvo compared to the grinding noise on the mercruiser. Only compliant I have is the speedometer sometimes cuts out/showing wrong speed. Also the oil filter location is Soo far back on the block that it's almost impossible to reach. I heard there's some oil filter remote relocation kit that could be purchased?

superbenk

Commander
I've been wanting to get the remote oil filter kit for some time now too. It's basically a screw on cap with two lines that run to the top port front of the engine near the drive oil monitor reservoir. A bracket & screw-on filter mount goes there. I *think* the filter then screws on upside down to the remote mount but I could be wrong about that.

I try not to over-tighten my filters now so I can get them off again. But the location is tough at the back of the engine!

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I asked the boat dealer about remote oil filter kit and they said not to even get into it because it will be way to costly for what it's worth. I found one online but used for Chevy 4.3 and 5.7L for 120.00 which I imagine should do the trick. I don't see what's Soo complicated about it.

superbenk

Commander
Me either. They're like $200 new, I think. Nothing very fancy or complicated about them. You might need an extra 1/2 quart of oil if you run one.