Opininions on a Four Winns Horizon 180 boat.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, Just wondering what you guys thought about a 1999 Four Winns Horizon Boat as listed in the link below. I had a look at it while its sitting at the boat shop to get winterized. The bottom looked in excellent shape and also has a Keel guard going all the way to the bottom of the boat. I didn't get to look at the interior as they had the plastic tight wrap on it but from the pictures it looks in good shape. I will have to go have a better look at it but wanted to see what you guys may know about this brand and model of boat. The guy tells me its a 1999 but the last two digits of the serial number is a 98. He is willing to let it go for $8000.00 cad (6000usd). I had a couple boats in the past with 3.0L mecruiser with alpha one leg but never had a Volvo penta before. Anything you guys can think of would be greatly apretiated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ta/1091765912?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

superbenk

Commander
I wouldn't buy it without a sea trial & a good look at the interior. At 16-17 yrs old you could have structural or expensive cosmetic damage due to age/wear. Does it have a complete service history? If not you'll have to be extra careful in your evaluation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
price is kind of high for a 18' boat with a 3.0.

need to have a sea trial and inspect everything. brand has nothing to do with condition of the boat.

superbenk

Commander
I totally missed the specs, good catch oldjeep. If it is a 4.3 in a 170, I'd imagine that'd be a good setup from a power perspective. Still need to get a better inspection & sea trial. I agree with Scott that it does seem pricey, but I don't know what rates are like in your area. Maybe if it's really clean & well cared for it's worth it?

oldjeep

Admiral
I find it hard to believe that you guys think that 6K USD is a lot of money for that boat

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If that boat were here where I live it would be a super price based on those pics.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

What gets me interested in this boat is the fiber glass floor & its V6. Yes I guess it depends where you guys live for the price of the boat. For some reason in my area boats are exspensive. For example I sold my 1993 Maxum 3.0L 1700SR this summer with a wake tower for $8300 Cad (6200 usd) as seen in the picture. 1990-1995 boats go for $5000 (3750 usd) Just to give you an idea. Since its sitting at Pro line Marine, I got a chance to speak to the service desk about it. The guy spent $450 cad just to get it winterized and they say they will note any issues they noticed during winterization. If I wanted to go thru a buyers inspection it would cost $150 but then it would be unwinterized.

Attachments

• photo207097.jpg
    photo207097.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the stringers and transom are still wood in the four winns. Deck is last place to rot.

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have nearly the same boat, a 99 four winns 180LS with a 4.3L volvo penta, I am the second owner, bought it 5 years ago for 8,400 bucks, and i believe I could sell it for 7-8k today based on its condition and what I see simliar boats sell for.

These boats hold their values pretty well if they are kept in good condition. They were pretty ahead of their time, As noted its a fiberglass floor, yes the stringers and transom are wood, but there is no carpeted plywood deck to leach water through into those items. They also have snap in/snap out carpet, the fit and finish is pretty good, and the volvo-penta is very reliable. The boat throws a decent wake for an I/0 for watersports as well.

The only issues I have had with my boat, which has been a known about issue, is the gauge cluster, however in that link it looks like the gauges have been replaced with pod gauges? (mine is original and looks like a vehicle dash board)

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh good to know 2000silvers2k thanks for the reply. This guy is saying the boat is a 1999 but the serial number is FWNMA260K798 so would it mean its a 1998 since the last two digit is a 98

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
That boat has had some custom work done to it. Not standard failure prone VDO gauge cluster, graphics on hull are not factory.
So maybe the PO spiced it up a bit and fixed all the usual issues with that year of boat. If he lists it as a 99' and by the HID, it is
a 1998. Wonder what else is not right ? Wonder what the title says the year is ?

oldjeep

Admiral
Might be worth checking with the state it was originally registered in. Some states had/have a bad habit of registering boats in the year they were sold rather than year of manufacture. As long as the HIN on the title matches the HIN on the boat I wouldn't worry too much about that.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I am going to take a closer look at the boat this weekend. He just spent few hundred bucks at Pro line marine local shop to get winterized and the only thing the work order says that needs to be repaired is the trailer tail light. Should I trust a well known shop that the boat is good since they winterized it?

oldjeep

Admiral
Thanks guys. I am going to take a closer look at the boat this weekend. He just spent few hundred bucks at Pro line marine local shop to get winterized and the only thing the work order says that needs to be repaired is the trailer tail light. Should I trust a well known shop that the boat is good since they winterized it?

Nope. Winterized means that it wont freeze, not that it runs decently under load. I wouldn't buy a boat that old without driving it.

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would really want to see the interior before I made a decision. The ad that you posted refer to the interior is decent for its age but still runs good. Or something like that. That makes me skeptical... I recently purchased an old boat and most of the ones I saw had interiors that were horrible so I would really want to see that first.

zealer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Definitely have everything checked and a sea trial. It is too bad it is already winterized. I don't understand how people think they will sell their boat when it is all wrapped up.

"Interior in decent condition for the age" is a nice way to say "is worn and faded". Of course, after 16 years, that can be expected. For 8k... I think you can find better. A 4.3L is a plus, but its 16 years old. Mind you, I don't know the market in SK. Here in QC, I would say that's high. But then again, this is all said from my armchair...

Last edited:

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently went to see a boat and the previous owner told me over the phone that the interior was in traffic condition and many customers had commented on what good shape it was in. When I got there there was at least one tear in every seat and the driver seat was nearly destroyed. You really have to be careful about what you believe and you have to see it for yourself.