Mayfair Livewell Pump Question

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 Ranger 375V that I need to replace a livewell pump in. While I am in there, I plan to go ahead and replace the other two pumps (another livewell pump and a bilge pump). The pumps that are in there are the Mayfair 23501 and 22101. The pumps have "lock" (turn counter clockwise) and "unlock" (turn clockwise) cast into the flange of the yellow pump housing. I cannot figure out how to get these to turn. Can any one tell me how to remove these? I have attached two pictures of the installed pumps.
Thanks!​

Attachments

• photo230701.jpg
    photo230701.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo230702.jpg
    photo230702.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 2
  • 3-48750.jpg
    3-48750.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I Think ya squeeze the base 'bout where the black rectangles are in the pic's, then turn the housin',...
Of the 4 black spots, I Believe 2 opposites have to be squeezed,....

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mayfair Aerator Pump Diassembly

Does anyone know how to get the yellow top off of this pump in order to inspect the impeller? I cannot figure out how to get the black tabs to retract in order to twist the yellow top off. The pump is a model 23501 from Mayfair. Thanks.

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So you think you squeeze the black base? I misread your post and tried squeezing the yellow top and that does not work at all. I will now try the squeezing the base. Thanks again for the response.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merged the 2 topics about disassembly of your pump.

My Rule pumps come apart similarly by squeezing tbe tabs on the basket out/off of the pump body.

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for merging the topics. I tried squeezing/twisting and nothing works. I think I will just tear the whole thing along with the valve out and try to figure it out then. I checked with a local marine repair shop and they said they would change out my valves and pumps for $96 per hour labor and it would take 3-4 hours to do it. I just can't see spending $400 + parts for changing these pumps and valves. Maybe after I crawl around for a few hours trying to do it myself I will be willing to pay someone.