Need Help Identifying Tri Hull Boat???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am definitely going to have to go with JB's opinion on this one, beings the boat says SurfSide on it. There is still a company in business by that name located in NH, you might drop them a note and even if they are not the same company, they might be able to give you some direction on what happened to the older company that built this boat.

What does the paperwork you got(Hopefully) say on it?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I am definitely going to have to go with JB's opinion on this one, beings the boat says SurfSide on it. There is still a company in business by that name located in NH, you might drop them a note and even if they are not the same company, they might be able to give you some direction on what happened to the older company that built this boat.

I think it reads
Lemore Alabama

below SurfSide, but that didn't pull up any info

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see in one of the pictures you provided, there are registration numbers on it. Have you contacted the state to see what it was registered as? Could lead to a hull manufacturer... :noidea:

Out of curiosity what's your interest in this particular boat?

With the rear of the transom cracked it's going to need major major repair. I hate to say it, but if your intention is repairing it that's going to be a losing proposition. Tri-hulls just aren't at all popular anymore for a variety of reasons. At this point about all it's good for is something along the lines of a yard ornament or flower planter. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you have plans to refurbish this tri-hull, I don't see the transom break as anymore of a problems then the usual transom replacement. It will be easy to repair when replacing the transom. What are your plans?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Unless that thing has some historic value to your family, I'd say it is time to give her a proper burial, in a junk yard. Lots and lots of work and $$$ staring at you there.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a Chrysler to me! Hull is identical to my '75 Bassrunner.

Me too. I had a 1971 16' sport fury (new)and friend had a '71 16' bass boat of the Chrysler brand. Neither of us were happy with the construction. Reminded me of single layer Clapboard siding on old farm houses.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I think mine is built better than the old farmhouse I had! But I'm only the second owner and the old guy (about my age ;) , I bought it from kept it garaged! Original 45 up Chrysler outboard also!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity what's your interest in this particular boat?

With the rear of the transom cracked it's going to need major major repair. I hate to say it, but if your intention is repairing it that's going to be a losing proposition. Tri-hulls just aren't at all popular anymore for a variety of reasons. At this point about all it's good for is something along the lines of a yard ornament or flower planter. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

I can tell you 2 things about that boat: 1. Why the hull is cracked and 2. Why tri-hulls and especially Chrysler tri-hulls are not popular.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I take a totally different opinion then most. If YOU seriously like this boat, then don't let others make your decision on what to do with it. If you really like it and want to rebuild it, then do it! We are here to help with advice along the way and offer ideas as well. Who knows what your ideas or sentimental feelings and/or values are about it. JMHO!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nola joined, posted this topic, surfed the site for 2hrs and hasnt been back.

shrew

Lieutenant
It looks like it was made by SurfSide out or Rochester, NH. Registered in Lousiana, and left to rot in someone's backyard. The transom is severely cracked. It has also been reinforced externally with a piece of PT plywood bolted to the transom.

If you are interested in spending several THOUSAND dollars to restore a boat that will be worth several HUNDRED when you're done, then go for it. Financially, this is a horrible idea. Don't let others pander to your ego and encourage to make a poor financial decision.