Water plug?

stingray3

Seaman
Hi Folks. I'm new to boating so I have many questions I bought a Crestliner Crusader 165- 1985 it's a 4 cyl. Chevy engine. My question is, how tight should I tighten the Bilge plug being that it's brass I don't want to strip it. Thanks

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You just need to firm it up good and you will be good to go, if it is a threaded plug, which your question seems to indicate, then just put it firmly and it will be good, with threaded plugs it really does not take much to keep them from leaking.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard. only about 2-3 flats past finger tight is all thats needed.

stingray3

Seaman
Hey thanks for the quick answers. I have only taken the boat 3 times and there is quite a bit of water that comes out when I take the plug out. I have tried a few ways of tightening the plug. turning it just tight to the touch and tightening it all the way in. Still when I remove the plug I get water. What is the correct way, I'm puzzled. And yes the plug is threaded.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you are getting water, it is probably not through the plug, all boats take on small amounts of water, but if you are getting large amounts of water, you need to start looking around and see if you can figure out where it is coming from, so you can take corrective action to stop most of it, a couple of pictures of the transom would be a good thing to look at.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would be looking in the bilge area with a flashlight with the boat in the water. First with the motor off, the with the motor running. You will find the source of the water

stingray3

Seaman
Ok Thanks, I'm taking it in to the boat shop to check the lower shift cable and kill sw, since it stalls as soon as I put it in reverse, at least that's what they think it is, I'll have them check it out for the water problem too. Thanks again for the help.

stingray3

Seaman
Hey I have a couple more questions 1st when I speed up the boat and it planes it leans to the left, someone told me to adjust the trim to the left which I did, and it did help but it still list to the left a little. is that normal for an old boat? someone told me if it's the stringer that I might as well scrap the boat. Ouch! also to winterize the boat it cost $225.00 is that a fair amount ? from what I seen on U tube it looks pretty easy! Do most of you do your own? Thanks

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
$225 is the going rate around me for winterization. It is fairly easy to do yourself and if you do it yourself, you know its done right. There are a lot of threads on here about shops not doing it right and the same with people. What kind of engine and drive do you have? It is mostly just changing oil, finding all of the drain plugs, and fogging.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
your boat should only take about 30 minutes to winterize if you do it yourself and it will only cost you $50

remove the drain plugs in the exhaust manifold and from the side of the block, poke a small wire or paperclip in there to loosen the crud and let the motor drain.
change the oil in the motor
change the lower gear lube

never try to suck up antifreeze with the outdrive. It simply doesnt work.

come spring, new points and condensor, set dwell and timing and go boating.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Hey I have a couple more questions 1st when I speed up the boat and it planes it leans to the left, someone told me to adjust the trim to the left which I did, and it did help but it still list to the left a little. is that normal for an old boat? someone told me if it's the stringer that I might as well scrap the boat. Ouch! also to winterize the boat it cost $225.00 is that a fair amount ? from what I seen on U tube it looks pretty easy! Do most of you do your own? Thanks

If I read your first post correctly, you have about a 16ft boat? and it has trim tabs? Suggest operating the tabs a little bit while its out of the water, with someone watching their movement - so you can get a feel for how they move when you activate them with the switch(es). Think about how they'll effect the boat based on their position. Maybe try putting the tabs all the way up, then adjust them slightly after you're on plane to get a feel for how they effect the boat. JMHO

stingray3

Seaman
It's a I/o 4 cyl chevy engine Mercruiser 165 140hp. I seen on utube where they hook up those ear muffs and pour the rv antifreeze into a hose. Bad Idea?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
It's a I/o 4 cyl chevy engine Mercruiser 165 140hp. I seen on utube where they hook up those ear muffs and pour the rv antifreeze into a hose. Bad Idea?

Not sure what hose you're thinking of, but I wouldn't rely on just that. If you drain all the water there's really no reason for antifreeze. Some do put some antifreeze in, but the key is the drain the water

stingray3

Seaman
They hook up a hose to the ear muffs and with a funnel pour antifreeze into the hose with engine running until the water comes out pink.

stingray3

Seaman
On the back of the engine I moved the trim as far left as it would go but it still leans slight left. Is there something i'm missing?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It leans because of the rotational motion of the prop. The trim tab will correct most of it, but not necessarily all of it at every trim position. Nothing wrong with the boat - just a factor of a single prop.

Many boats leak a bit, but if all is OK and properly maintained it should not leak a drop.

Buy a shop manual and make a checklist of winterizing requirements. Then follow your directions. If you're not mechanically inclined let the dealer do it.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
On the back of the engine I moved the trim as far left as it would go but it still leans slight left. Is there something i'm missing?

Moved the trim left? Maybe I'm missing something. Some pics of the entire boat, entire transom, and close ups of tabs would help us help you.

stingray3

Seaman
Yes Marc c it's a little mini fin thingy you can move it left or right, it loosens with an Allen T wrench. Thanks everyone for your patience!