Bass Tracker Pro Team 170 tx stands on end

Jayhawker5

Recruit
I have a 2009 Bass Tracker 170 tx with a 50hp 4 stroke. When I accelerate, it stands up on it's hind end and all I can see is sky, until it gets up to speed. It does plane and does 31mph by GPS. I have been lurking/reading about various causes, one of which is having the motor mounted to low.
So, I did some looking and mine is mounted as low as it will go. The funny thing is that the paint shows me that once upon a time it was mounted 3 holes higher. Tracker support says it is right, but if anyone else has a similar setup, could I see a picture of how high your motor is mounted?

The first pic is a straight edge off of the lowest point of the hull.

Thanks!
Scott

Attachments

• zz20150908_114130.jpg
    zz20150908_114130.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • zz20150908_114100.png
    zz20150908_114100.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Is that first picture showing the tilt position of the engine when you are having the problem? If so, that part looks fine for what you have.

Where did you get the boat? Do you know if that engine came with it? Reason why I ask these questions is this:

1. That engine was not mounted in that scored hole on your boat. No deformation of the transom where the clamp bracket would have bitten into it.

2. To go up 3 holes at 3/4" per hole would put your antiventilation plate...(that horizontal plate just below your level in your first pic.) above engine running water level and the prop would ventilate.......suck in surface air....speed reduction, engine rpms excessively high.....racing.

3. No doubt the clamp bracket is scored. If you know for a fact that the rig is as it is when new then I'd say that's marks from the bolts holding the engine in the shipping container before Tracker put the rig together.
-------------------------------
Need 3 things:

1. Get down on one knee about 6-8 ft directly behind the boat and snap a picture showing the engine in the normal run tilt....as shown in pic #1 I assume, and shows the shape of the hull...dead rise and location of the AV plate with respect to the bottom. If you can't get the shot on one knee, lie down and take it. You want the camera to shoot approximately parallel to the hull from transom to mid ship.

2. While your camera is out, take a couple of pictures of the interior of your boat with equipment shown as it is on the water when you are having the problem.

3. How much do you weigh, and do you take others along when you have the problem.
-------------------------------

Possible causes of the problem:

1. Engine hp not high enough to power through your problem. A 50 horse 4 stroker on a 17' boat, even if it is a Tracker alum. isn't all that much if loaded.
2. Thrust angle too high (lower unit at the propeller end is too far from the transom) pushing the transom down during the hole shot. If your setup is as I mentioned above that isn't your problem.
3. Too much weight aft. The pictures I need to see will help with that.

That about sums it up.

When we finish, I might suggest that you install a "Whales Tail" (brand name....others similar out there with different names) or similar stern lifting device. Costs around a hundred bucks, give or take, and mounts to the anti ventilation plate. Gets it's name from the fact that it looks like it's name sake. What it does is act like a big board attached to your engine and the force of the incoming water against it causes it to rise taking the stern up with it and decreases your nose high attitude and duration of the hole shot. For your problem and your engine, boat, performance envelope, it probably will be just the thing

Will check back in the am and other times the next couple of days or so.

Mark

Jayhawker5

Recruit
Thank you very much, Mark.
The first picture is showing the tilt of the engine, using a straight edge off of the lowest part of the hull.
I got the boat from the original owner, who didn't use it very much. I do have the original paperwork, which shows that I have the originally equipped engine.

I will get some pictures as soon as I get to the boat again, hopefully this weekend.
I suspect you are onto something about weight. There is a 19 gallon tank in the back, which is 3/4 full. I weigh 200 and my wife is on the petite side.
There are two batteries back there, as well. But, I'll get you the pictures.

I have been checking on the whale tail,etc. and have seen mixed reviews about them. But, if they will help, along with carrying less fuel, I will call that a win.

Thanks again for your thorough questions, and I will post more pics as soon as possible.

Scott

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
As I said, if you had more power, like my last boat was a 90 Merc 2 stroker on about the same boat, you just power out of the hole and weight doesn't matter much. Where you are on power it very much does as does the fact that you are running a 4 stroker that just doesn't have as good low end torque meaning the hole shot is sloppier......so I'm told by knowledgeable folks on here!

I think the whale tail is a simple solution and allows you to retain the "cabin" as you have it. Have to remember you are talking to the "general" public and you can get all kinds of answers on who likes this and who likes that. At 31 mph you are at a perfect speed for a tail to assist you. Problems are usually encountered on engines mounted too low, improper tilt/trim angle (angle of the engine vs the transom...pin hole you're in) and boats going much faster than yours....can create drag.

What you might find out is that the tail assists you to the point that you can move your tilt pin out one notch, possibly two which can improve that 31 mph and make the steering feel livelier and the boat more responsive in addition to a lively hole shot. Trial and error is where you find the sweet spot. If you do get the tail your first outing run will be with the engine as is on the tilt angle. Record the time for the bow to come down after you firewall the throttle in the hole. Then check your top speed and record that including the engine rpms at that WOT speed.

Then changing nothing but your tilt pin, moving it up one notch which would put the prop farther away from the transom, take another run and record the data.

Finally go out one more hole and repeat.

Pick the best that suits you and there you have it.

Oh, what rpms are you running at your 31mph with your normal load and what is the upper limit or rpm rating for your engine? May be some room for improvement via prop pitch alteration also.

On gas, unless you do a lot of long distance running, a 6 gallon can can run that 4 stroker all day. Meaning, don't carry around a lot of fuel you aren't going to use. Just gets in your way.

Mark

Last edited:

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your mounted way high. Cav plate should be slightly above the pad or bottom of boat for proper performance.

You want to run close to max rpm unloaded with a slight positive trim angle.

Raise the motor and report rpms and gps speed when trimmed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Your mounted way high. Cav plate should be slightly above the pad or bottom of boat for proper performance.

You want to run close to max rpm unloaded with a slight positive trim angle.

Raise the motor and report rpms and gps speed when trimmed.

Why don't you wait for the pictures I asked for before you jump to conclusions. He is having stern heavy problems as it is and lifting the AV plate (helps to prevent ventilation with the surface not cavitation which is low pressure points at the tip of the blades causing small bubbles and erosion) up above the water line deletes a lot of the transom lift he can get where he is. On the rpms we are working that and waiting for his current numbers.

Jayhawker5

Recruit
Why don't you wait for the pictures I asked for before you jump to conclusions. He is having stern heavy problems as it is and lifting the AV plate (helps to prevent ventilation with the surface not cavitation which is low pressure points at the tip of the blades causing small bubbles and erosion) up above the water line deletes a lot of the transom lift he can get where he is. On the rpms we are working that and waiting for his current numbers.

Thanks Mark.
Sorry for the late reply. I did go ahead and raise the engine one hole and put a fin on it, SE Sport 400. We took it out last weekend and I am very happy with it.
It got up on plane within a couple of seconds and I never lost sight of the water in front of the boat. The top speed after the changes were 33.6 mph by GPS at 5600 RPM. Carrying 320 pounds of human, 10 gallons of fuel and fishing gear for two.
I am sure there is some room for tweaking, but I am a happy man and might just leave just like it is, except for adding more lights, etc.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!
:loyal: