Workspace

64osby

Admiral
Figured that adding a single sheet on either side of the roof next to the downlegs plus a ridge cap would add some strength and stability while still allowing a decent amount of light inside to work by

Would the steel be over or under the tarp?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Caught a few small catfish yesterday but that was all. Nice to be out in the boat though!

The shelter arrived about dinnertime this evening. The driver said he'd delivered it to a house up the street from me and the address was off by one digit. Apparently the homeowner there was off by another digit! :lol:

Hope to get the shelter set up this week. Will also investigate the sheet metal I mentioned. Dunno if it would add a lot of strength but it's worth checking out.

shelter box.jpg

sheetmetal.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So here is where I have the boat now. It's the side yard looking toward the back of my property. I've added some dirt/sand in order to create a pad which is more level than the rest of the place.

Guess I'll just set the shelter up where the boat currently sits right now but will have to do some serious investigating and planning before making any permanent installation whether with this shelter or a more comprehensive unit.

The yard slopes quite a bit and drops 11 feet from side to side over a 55 yard distance. There are no true "flat" places, at least anywhere close to the house. It also slopes along the longitudinal direction as well.

For a permanent shop installation, I'll have to remove trees, add driveway length, cut swales and/or add pad materials and much more. Not a simple thing.

Plus, I'm one of those folks who got caught by the real estate crash. My homestead is currently valued at less than 1/2 of the mortgage amount. So throwing good money after bad in the form of property improvements might not be a wise choice.

All thoughts appreciated!

shelterspotf3.jpg shelterspotf2.jpg

shelterspotf4.jpgshelterspotf1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Got started this morning with the help of my neighbor friend. Two old farts working outside in the heat/humidity is always funny. But, we got the frame assembled without issue. When it came time to place the ground anchors it was very clear that they weren't up to the task for the sandy soil here in Florida. So off we went to HF to buy some ground augers. Stopped at McD's for lunch on the way home.

Then it was time for my buddy to take his midday pills and nap, so we called it a day! :facepalm: :lol:

Will get back at it later today or sometime tomorrow and finish everything up.

Hey, progress is progress! :laugh:

Ground anchors
groundanchors.jpg

Getting started.
shelterassembly1.jpg

Neighbor buddy having fun!
shelterassembly2.jpg

Still looks a little short! :lol:
shelterassembly3.jpg

Legs installed
shelterassembly4.jpg

Ready to anchor.
shelterassembly5.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Phase 1 completed!

Got the basic enclosure set up today but when I tried extending the side panels, the wimpy little ground anchors that came with the package simply weren't up to the task. Will have to go back to HF and pick up a couple more boxes of their 15" earth anchors in order to get the side panels set up correctly. It'll definitely be worth it though. Need strength there!

Once I enclosed even one side, the breeze was blocked and it wasn't very comfortable under the big top. With both sides down, it's definitely warmer and with little air movement. So I'll be getting a set of anchors on my next visit over to HF. Too bad it's a 30 mile round trip. Once I get 'em installed and the side panels extended, I'll update with more pix.

One thing I wasn't sure of when I made the purchase was whether or not end panels were included. They're not. Something to consider for future reference. Am also still thinking about whether I want to go with the sheet metal sides as well.

On the plus side, I definitely like the way the shelter helps block the sun! As does my wife. With the white tarp, there's plenty of light to work on the boat but not be pummeled by too many photons! :laugh:

For $250 including all 12 of the big HF ground anchors, it's a worthwhile investment for us. Am looking forward to getting out there and getting more work done on our boat once the weather breaks a little more! And once it does get cold here, being able to drop the sides down to block the cold wind will definitely be a big plus.

Overall, we're happy so far.

Where's da boat? :lol:
shelterassembly8.jpg

Lookin' better already!
shelterassembly11.jpg

These are the puny anchors that came with the kit. Not used!
shelterassembly18.jpg

These 15" auger bit anchors from HF are much better.
shelterassembly12.jpg

Installed.
shelterassembly13.jpg

Nice and tight now!
shelterassembly15.jpg

Snug and cozy inside.
shelterassembly6.jpg

Attachments

• shelterassembly13.jpg
    shelterassembly13.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • shelterassembly18.jpg
    shelterassembly18.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I made a trip over to HF yesterday and picked up some more ground anchors. Got one side of the shelter up today. Think I'll leave it like that for awhile and see how it goes. The remaining side faces west so it can give a bit more sun relief for a few more weeks. And I did notice that when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds that I could easily feel the heat difference.

Oh! The shelter is like 9 feet tall so I can stand in the boat with a couple feet of headroom above me. Nice.

We DID have a taste of fall today. Just a tiny taste but it sure is nice. Only 73 for a high with a cool breeze from the north. A little spritzing and drizzle too. Spent some time just sitting in the boat under the shelter this afternoon, figuring out how I want to rearrange things.

Good to have a place to work! I'm a happy camper. :joyous:

10-3-2015.jpg

Attachments

• 10-3-2015.jpg
    10-3-2015.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 10-3-2015.jpg
    10-3-2015.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0

SteveTate

Recruit
The idea is good I think you must a long driveway which will increase the beauty of your area as well as home. In fact, you can take the help of a contractor which will be helpful. Before you happen to select the services of any Paving Contractors Nassau County experts check whether they have the right tools and equipment's to perform the job well.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
No Title

When i bought my new place it had a car port on it and i moved off to one side for pontoon winter storage

Attachments

• photo243815.JPG
    photo243815.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 0