Workspace

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I need some feedback, ideas, thoughts and whatnot.

Many guys on here have HUGE workshops which allow them to store and work on their boats. Several of the shops I've seen are 5 or 6 times larger than my house! :eek: Wowsers!

I, on the other hand, have zip, nada, zilch. I've learned over the last few years that one of my biggest mistakes when purchasing this place was to not include a real garage and a workshop or utility building in the purchase. That and not paving my long driveway! LOL! Ah well, moving along...

And of course life changes came along and I'm now on a fixed income and don't have the Benjamins I had before. So, in my recent refurb project I had to work outside in my yard. In Florida. In the summer! Ugh. :blue:

So, I have 1.5 acres and do have room for a workspace of some type. (I dunno why some guys call it a hangar. I'm a USAF veteran and hangars are places where airplanes or satellites are kept. :D )

With my limited budget I've been checking the tarp style carports which would at least get my boat (and me!) out of the sun and maybe the rain, depending on options. The one I'm leaning toward the most costs a little over $200.

And I've also been checking steel carports which cost more like $1000 and on up.

So please give me some feedback! Tell me where you work on or store your boat, especially if you've had limited space or no work shop at all.

This is my boat yard. As in my boat in my yard where I've had to do all the work thus far. So anything "indoors" will be a major improvement!

boat yard.jpg

This is the fabric style carport I've been checking out. It can be assembled 3 different ways.

Just the canopy
shelter1.jpg

Canopy with sidewalls
shelter2.jpg

Canopy with sidewalls extended.
shelter3.jpg

Attachments

• boat yard.jpg
    boat yard.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat yard.jpg
    boat yard.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
The canopy idea is good. Keeps the sun off and the big rains out. The biggest issue for you will be keeping it anchored down in high winds. I would expect the tarp to last 2 years in your sun.

My canopy has evolved over the years. Snow and straight line winds has taken the toll on the frame and tarp. My frame is now made from 1 1/4" square tubing and welded corner brackets. All made from salvage and scrap. My tarp is 1/2 of a pool cover.

My next step will be to strengthen the frame and add steel sheets (pole barn siding) for the roof that I have salvaged.

I hooked a rope on the tarp last time the boat was pulled out and ripped the legs off, so now is a great time to build it better.

Craigslist can often be a source for storage building or car ports. It can also be a source for materials for building a shed or lean to. Creativity can be key for this.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The canopy idea is good. Keeps the sun off and the big rains out. The biggest issue for you will be keeping it anchored down in high winds. I would expect the tarp to last 2 years in your sun.

My canopy has evolved over the years. Snow and straight line winds has taken the toll on the frame and tarp. My frame is now made from 1 1/4" square tubing and welded corner brackets. All made from salvage and scrap. My tarp is 1/2 of a pool cover.

My next step will be to strengthen the frame and add steel sheets (pole barn siding) for the roof that I have salvaged.

I hooked a rope on the tarp last time the boat was pulled out and ripped the legs off, so now is a great time to build it better.

Craigslist can often be a source for storage building or car ports. It can also be a source for materials for building a shed or lean to. Creativity can be key for this.
Good tip about checking C/L for materials. Hadn't thought of that. So I looked this afternoon and found some 20' x 39" pole barn metal siding sheets for 20 bucks a sheet. Not bad. If only I had a pole barn to put them on! :lol:

I've been watching for sheds and carports, etc. but haven't found any screaming good deals yet.

Good to know that the tarp shed can be a viable alternative, at least for the short term.

This 18' x 20' size metal carport is $800 delivered but obviously doesn't offer side protection. More moolah required for more protection.

steel carport.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
For short term use you can do a lot with 2x2's for pole, a big tarp, some rope and some stakes....

Used to toss up a quick shelter when working on a truck or tractor out in the field.

64osby

Admiral
I could see one heck of an A-Frame out of that pole barn steel. :D

Sometimes the local big box or lumber supply houses will have damaged or returned goods out in the back lot. I have seen shed frames from time to time.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The pic that "BWR1953" would be your best bet. That can be anchored to the ground then a tarp side can be added temporarily until you can save enough moola to get enough metal barn siding sheets to fill in the sides. If you can do your own labor I would bet you can build what is shown and enclose it for just a little more than the cost of that temporary tent you were looking at. The portable carport as they are called in my area, are quite popular and the lowest cost form of a semi-permanent structure you can build.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I know what it is like working on ANYTHING in the sun and heat here in Fla. 6 years ago the wife had this built to store the Bayliner, now it stores MY project boat. It's a 20X25 $13k to build. If something like this is too much...I'd go with a metal car port on a slab, you can always close it in later....the main thing is to get out of the sun...From one USAF RET to another...THANK YOU for your service.
15hxv7b.jpg

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That $13k unit looks nice but isn't workable for me. At least for now. Too bad I didn't spend that much or a little more 9 years ago when I bought this place. Could have rolled it into the mortgage and had a nice concrete building for that much money!

Still researching here guys. For anything even semi-permanent including lean-tos and whatnot, I have to get a county permit and the shelter has to meet hurricane codes.

The canopy carport does seem to be a good value. I have a line on one that is 20' wide by 31' long with a 7' storage shed built in at the end. It's 40% off at the moment but I have to disassemble it and transport it myself. Not a simple thing for me. I'll also continue to do some more comparison price checking to make sure that the 40% is real and not just an inflated "sale" price. While it's not an ideal solution, the price is right and if I can make it work, I'll go that route. If not, I'll probably just go with the tent canopy thing to tide us over for awhile.

Looks like this one.

combo shed.jpg

64osby

Admiral
If you could find a way to get ^^^, it would make an awesome storage / work area IMO.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
BWR, I honestly know exactly what you are talking about. All my neighbors keep telling me to build something to work from. But I didn't have the needed funds at that time and waited. Because I had my workshop dreams stuck in my head and until I could afford to build that design, I didn't want to spend money on other things. So I waited for near about ten years before building my dream shop. I now have a 24' by 36' workshop with a 16' by 24' breezeway connecting both the workshop and the house together. And my two adult sons and wife all helped build it and insulate it and wire it. It is totally amazing to work from with white painted drywalls and a nine foot drop ceiling with lighting so there is no shadows in any place you work in there. it is beyond what your asking for now, but I would look for 2 X 4's here and there and materials to build your shop. Start with a pole type barn setup with future plans to enclose the sides. Get a building permit and start building a little at a time. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but you can add to it as the money allows... JMHO!
boat-56.jpg

This is just a little look at my shop...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
BWR, I honestly know exactly what you are talking about. All my neighbors keep telling me to build something to work from. But I didn't have the needed funds at that time and waited. Because I had my workshop dreams stuck in my head and until I could afford to build that design, I didn't want to spend money on other things. So I waited for near about ten years before building my dream shop. I now have a 24' by 36' workshop with a 16' by 24' breezeway connecting both the workshop and the house together. And my two adult sons and wife all helped build it and insulate it and wire it. It is totally amazing to work from with white painted drywalls and a nine foot drop ceiling with lighting so there is no shadows in any place you work in there. it is beyond what your asking for now, but I would look for 2 X 4's here and there and materials to build your shop. Start with a pole type barn setup with future plans to enclose the sides. Get a building permit and start building a little at a time. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but you can add to it as the money allows... JMHO!

This is just a little look at my shop...
Yeahhh... not enough time left on this planet for me to take that approach! Might have worked 20 years ago though! :eek: :lol: Actually, back then I could have just stroked a check for whatever I wanted. And did. (Maybe that's why I don't have so much now? LOL! :rofl: )

Nice setup you have there. Really good that you have your family to help and be involved. Many hands make light work, etc. :)

Didn't get a chance to go check out that other shedport. Caught cold a couple days ago and it just beat my butt today. Felt better this afternoon so I went out and just looked at my boat, thinking of next steps in the project. Stood around out there taking notes and just figuring things out for about an hour. Then installed the new tarp and went inside... because I was feeling really bad again. Coughing and hacking and such. Ugh. Still feeling that way even now. :grumpy:

But this too shall pass! Am planning on going fishing in 2 days if the weather works right for us. Need to get back on the water!

Still going in circles about my shelter/workspace thing though. :noidea:

redfury

Commander
No Title

This was the best work environment I got to work with . Attached to the shed and some top poles for fencing shoved into the ground with PVC pipe across the top to keep from tearing the new tarp I got on sale. It worked well enough through light rain and wind for the time I used it...very temporary. If I were to do anything more elaborate ( other than a garage ), I'd opt for a 24' long Quonset hut style temporary garage. They hold up well due to their design, but you gotta make sure to keep the heavy snow off of them if you want them to last ( like any tarp garage ).

Attachments

• photo230084.jpg
    photo230084.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well guys, this morning I ordered the tent canopy/shelter from Sportsmans Guide.

I woke to the sounds of thunder rumbling and rain pounding down outside. And as I lay there thinking of my tarp-covered boat filling yet again with water I knew that I needed to take action of some kind. Now! And SG had sent me a coupon for an additional 10% off so with a 20% total discount I took advantage of the deal.

The tent canopy will buy me time while I determine what final decision I need to make. And it has several advantages.
  • No permit required
  • Can erect it at the location where I currently keep the boat and can easily move it later if needed.
  • No landscaping or ground improvement required
  • Can be resold later without concern about disassembly, etc.
  • Will arrive quickly relative to the other, more permanent, options.
  • Used the SG 4-pay plan so out of pocket expense was minimal
  • I can use the canopy to complete my current boat project
Yesterday I researched the quonset hut style tarp enclosures and they cost the same if not more than steel structures of the same size. That was surprising.

So now I have time to continue exploring options.

The permanent and semi-permanent solutions like the steel canopy and workshops not only require county permits but will require reshaping my property. That includes removing trees, terracing slopes, laying concrete or asphalt pads or maybe gravel and also changing driveway shape and size and more. A pretty big deal and expensive as well.

There's more to say, but I'll save it till a little later.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ok, somebody tell me about pole barns. In general, are they stronger than standard steel buildings? Could one support a hoist, chain or otherwise? Restoration might require pulling a motor and whatnot.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I am not a happy camper. FedEx delivered my boat shelter to the wrong address yesterday and they don't know where. It'll take 4 days before they can track it down and get it back to me. If that even happens. :mad: :mad-new: :yell:

Talked with a neighbor about the shelter and he stated that many folks just add pole barn sheet metal (or something similar) to the steel frames that comprise the shelter and make a more permanent installation that way. Hmmm... good thought! So I got on craigslist and found someone selling some of those sheets for cheap. They're 20 feet long and 39 inches tall. For $1 per linear foot. Had planned on buying some after delivery yesterday. :apologetic:

While waiting for delivery yesterday I did some photo editing and messed with some sheet metal framing options. Figured that adding a single sheet on either side of the roof next to the downlegs plus a ridge cap would add some strength and stability while still allowing a decent amount of light inside to work by. Then I framed one sheet along the perimeter at the base. That would add some strength/stability but not as much as it would if the perimeter were enclosed at the main section rather than the outliers.

I just wish I had the real thing here to work with! :facepalm:

shelter3 partial enclosure2.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
BWR1953, pole barns around where I live are usually built with...well...poles. They usually buy some old poles that the power company is getting rid of and install them at equal intervals for the construction of their barn. So they can be 4', 6', 8',10', or what every distance you like them to be apart from each other. Then they use some 2 x ? wood to border the top of the poles for the roof to install on. The intervals apart are usually something compatible with the 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 they use for that top plate base. Those plates are usually lagged or through bolted on. Then they make trusses or rafters and place them every 16" or so on center. Basically like a standard roof. And then sheeting and of course shingles. So the sides are open and are basically poles exposed. And if later on they decide too, they enclose it in. But that usually doesn't happen. But that is the typical pole barn that I am familiar with. Very strong to stand up against high winds and such. But a lot less cost to comparable areas totally enclosed in as well. You could built something using 4 X 4 poles sunk in the ground for your poles and do the rest like the standard pole barns... :noidea: JMHO!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Most of the pole barns around here are sold as kits. Some folks leave 'em open and others enclose them. The rafter frames are steel but I don't know how much load they can take.

Similar to this:
polebarnkit.jpg

Attachments

• polebarnkit.jpg
    polebarnkit.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
BWR, ha if that works for you, go for it. I though you were on a more serious budget... :noidea: