Is the title for a boat the registration form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrain

Banned
Is the title for a boat the registration form?

Thinking of buying a 1983 22' boat from new york.

Most likely I will registra in Florida I think in Georgia an Alabama all I need is bill of sale w/ HID # for a old boat and then have any police to inspect trailer.

I believe Florida requires a printed bill of sale form ( I can get from office depot) and they don?t accept a receipt on notebook paper is this true or false?

Lastly for a boat to be legalley registraed there must be a HID lable attacted to the stern is this true or false?
Thanks TB

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd suggest you talk to whoever handles boats in the state you want to register it in. Here in WV, thats the DMV.

In WV, there are titles AND registration for both boats and trailers. Other states are different. IIRC, NY now requires titles and registration too. Not sure why the seller wouldnt have both. For a 1983 boat, I think the state would have required them both.

I can download and print transfer, bill of sale and other documents directly from the state DMV site.

For a 1983 boat, there should be a HIN permanently adhered to the boat.

If it doesnt have one, thats a problem as well, by 83 they were required. Glass boats often have it embossed into the glass. Tin boats typically have it riveted on, NOT screwed on. Screws arent considered permanent.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you are registering in florida, call your local tax collectors office. you WILL need the weight of the empty trailer either from the trailer manufacture (traceable to the VIN) or a weight from a certified scale

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I recently purchased a boat and trailer in Wisconsin, brought it home to Florida. All that was required to register it
1. Bill of sale with Boat name, length and Hull ID number
2. On bill of sale trailer name, type, trailer serial number
3. Last registration paperwork for boat and for trailer if applicable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on which county you are registering it in Florida. I have moved twice from WI to FL and both times I needed the trailer weight in addition to the trailer paperwork. I have had to get an email from Shoreland'r with the actual weight of the trailer that had the VIN.

Florida titles trailers over I believe 2000# empty weight and only registers them below that (hence the need for empty trailer weight). Wisconsin only titles trailers when the loaded weight is above 3000# and is actually a bit more lackadaisical about the weight.
[h=2]Trailers (Vessels, Utility)[/h]
Florida requires all trailers to be registered. Trailers weighing over 2,000 pounds (empty weight) are required to be titled. To determine the weight of your trailer, Sarasota County has several weigh stations.
To register and/or title your trailer, please see below for the option that best describes your trailer.
Used Trailer, under 2,000 pounds, currently registered in Florida
Documents Required:
  • Bill of Sale (BOS)
  • Previous owner?s registration - if the registration is not provided but the BOS contains the Trailer Identification Number (TIN) or license plate number, we will be able to verify the trailer information.
  • State-issued photo ID
Used Trailer, under 2,000 pounds, NOT currently registered in Florida
Documents Required:
  • Bill of Sale*
  • Out-of-state title signed by the seller or registration
  • Weight slip (may be required if the empty or net weight is not indicated on the title/registration)
  • State-issued photo ID
*If the trailer was previously in a non-titled or non-registered state, the Bill of Sale should include year, make, TIN, certified weight slip and identify the state where the trailer was previously located.
In cases when a certified weight slip is required, a temporary license plate may be issued in order to legally take the trailer to be weighed. It is valid for 10-days, the fee is $5.00, the TIN number must be provided in order to issue the temporary plate.
New Trailer not currently registered in Florida
Documents Required:
  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
  • Bill of Sale
  • State-issued photo ID
Homemade Trailer (built from parts purchased or parts already owned at the time of construction)
Provide:
  • Year constructed
  • Certified weight slip
  • State-issued photo ID
If the trailer is under 2,000 pounds, a Trailer Identification Number will be generated by the computer. It is advisable to have this number die cut or affixed to the trailer. If the trailer is over 2,000 pounds, call the Florida Division of Motorist Services at 941.755.4551 to arrange for an appointment and upon inspection a Compliance Examiner will assign and affix a Trailer Identification Number.
Sales tax, if applicable, registration fees and title fees will be collected.

mr 88

Commander
NY switched to titles at some point in time. IF the registration says TRANSFERABLE on the top that would indicate it does not have a title and the reg will do. IF it says non transferable you need a title. As far as NY DMV if you have the title when you register it, the previous non- transferable registration is not needed

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
No title for a 1983 boat; titling started in 1987 in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.