I got a hole in my boat!!

I was changing out my bellows boot and all the associated stuff when I noticed a hole. Tell me how do I fix this?

Attachments

• photo229506.jpg
    photo229506.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • photo229508.jpg
    photo229508.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1

thumpar

Admiral
That is the transom plate (maybe wrong official term but that is what I call it). You would have to pull the engine to get it replaced.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You should repost this in the MerCruiser section. Those guys are experts, and can give you very good advice. It would be good to include year and model of the outdrive and/or engine.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Officially called the Gimbal Housing. New they run well over a grand. You can probably find them on eBay or Clist a lot cheaper. If the hole is just a spot, it can most likely be patched for a short time with JB Weld or similar. Being aluminum eventually the metal will oxidize in under the JB and the patch will start lifting.

Rick

riz

Recruit
I had a similar problem and just patched it up for now. If you plan on keeping the boat a while I'd suggest replacing that transit assembly.

alldodge

Staff member
Got some metal fatigue going on there, should replace the whole transom plate.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That is an odd break,.....

Ya oughta be able to find a used fresh water transom assembly for a couple hundred bucks,....

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll try patching it for now and then look for a transom assembly.

Didn't feel good finding that :( Thought everything was going well during removal of old boots and was hoping I'd be all done and ready to go soon...

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
For sure I wouldn't waste time trying to weld it when a good used one can be bought for around 200 bucks off eBay..

No Title

Well I'll definitely replace it, started looking on Craigslist already. But if I have to remove the engine as was mentioned above then it's going to take me a while, and I was hoping to use the boat once or twice before it starts to get cold, hence the hope for a temp repair.

I like the boat and want to keep it, hopefully for a long time.

Attachments

• photo229585.jpg
    photo229585.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
You could clean it up and put 3M 4000 and fill it full up. Since you haven't seen water coming in, it could work until this winter.

45Auto

Commander
Check the transom for rot when you get around to replacing that transom shield. It didn't corrode away overnight. That hole is inside the transom seal, the transom cutout in the transom is usually not sealed very well. The water has been going straight into the wooden transom for awhile.

Last edited:
Check the transom for rot when you get around to replacing that transom shield. It didn't corrode away overnight. That hole is inside the transom seal, the transom cutout in the transom is usually not sealed very well. The water has been going straight into the wooden transom for awhile.

I hope not! It was dry all last year, no water from the drain every time we went out, until my wife accidentally trimmed all the way up while I was riding behind on the tube. We started taking on water right away. I figured that one of the boots had gotten ripped or slipped off a little, but once I removed the boots and hoses I saw the hole, which I then explored a little with a screwdriver which made it bigger. The aluminum was pretty soft and thin.

I'll check it out though.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you patch the hole for a short while, you'll need to remove any rotted/oxidized aluminum, and grind paint away to stick anything to bare roughened aluminum. It will probably be stronger short term fix if you use a small chunk of aluminum to bridge the gap inside the hole. You should also pry a bit on the gimbal housing to make sure the whole thing isn't ready to bust out. Trimming all the way up will lever on the gimbal bearing a bit, and shake the entire unit with uneven force. But it shouldn't split out a piece of the housing. Just be safe with a good inspection.