Engine hatch weight

jetstream51

Recruit
I have a Crownline 225br that needs new engine hatch lifts. Does anyone have an idea of the weight of the hatch so I can purchase the correct lifts? Also, any recommendation on brand and specs of hatch lifts?

64osby

Admiral
You might be able to take a bathroom scale and a wood block to get an estimate of the hatch weight. Divide the weight by the number of lifts and start searching.

Welcome to iboats. :welcome:

jetstream51

Recruit
Thx 64osby. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to take it completely off to do it but that would work. I'm going to the lake tomorrow so now I know what my next job is there. Now to find where my wife hid the scale. Ha! Just kidding!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

look at the existing struts, the part number should be on there which will also have the capacity in the part number. then google it and buy replacements.

64osby

Admiral
I would not remove it, just pull off the struts and weigh it partially open.

Scott's suggestion is great if you can read the numbers.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Agree with 64, remove struts, weigh it in boat, no need to take it out. Weigh it at different intervals when it is open so see what the max torque on the struts actually is. I am assuming it is on a hinge which will assist in holding weight. The struts don't need to support the entire weight of the hatch.

thumpar

Admiral
I have a 202br. I would bet the hatch is the same size since the beam is the same. My stuts are SL-34-50. There is one on each side.

jetstream51

Recruit
Thanks for all the suggestions. The numbers on the old struts are visible. The problem is that the previous owner said he purchased them at an auto supply. However, I might be able to figure out the weight rating at least. Also, weighing the hatch with the struts off is a good idea. I'll try that too. Thanks again. In the mean time, I'll look up the SL-34-50.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most of these are made by Suspa. can also find them on Amazon