Naming ceremony

littlerayray

Lieutenant
What is the proper ceremony when naming your boat I don't want to anger the sea gods and have bad luck

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Idk about the ceremony, but what was your final pick on the name?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
You're right- you don't want to screw this up. Here's the one I used to rename Escapade III. If your boat didn't previously have a name, just skip the part where you eliminate the old name. You need plenty of champagne.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

When Linda and I renamed our boat, we sent out invitations and did it at a 10-boat raft-up with all our friends. We wanted to make it as formal and classy as possible, so I dressed as Neptune.... complete with bedsheet toga, Burger King crown and a trident made from a length of 1 x 2 with a cardboard cutout stapled to it.

Needless to say, the audience was suitably impressed and more than a little tipsy. A wonderful time was had by all.

(it worked, too. Not only is the boat still floating, but on our voyage from Long Island to Martha's Vineyard we didn't see a single sea serpent or other monster of the deep)

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
As long as you have enough maidens for the maiden voyage, you'll be fine. ;)

aspeck

Staff member
You must stand on your head with your right arm and left leg at 90 degree angles to your body. Then you recite the nursery rhyme "Row, Row, Row your boat" 3 times while humming Christopher Cross' "Sailing Away." After that you can do whatever you want (because everyone in attendance will be laughing so hard at you it really won't matter)!:lol:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
You must stand on your head with your right arm and left leg at 90 degree angles to your body. Then you recite the nursery rhyme "Row, Row, Row your boat" 3 times while humming Christopher Cross' "Sailing Away." After that you can do whatever you want (because everyone in attendance will be laughing so hard at you it really won't matter)!:lol:
My balance ain't good enough for that:eek::facepalm:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Not wanting to anger Neptune or wanting to take a chance on it, you should go authentic and use copious quantities of RUM. You may want to feed guests some hardtack. Old salts never had champagne

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Not wanting to anger Neptune or wanting to take a chance on it, you should go authentic and use copious quantities of RUM. You may want to feed guests some hardtack. Old salts never had champagne

Nope, you want good quality wine, of which champagne is one. Wine's been around a lot longer than rum. :)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Most naming ceremonies I've seen are post drinking events and the specific nature of the ceremony is accompanied by a fog of awareness that is often best not recorded. The plus side is that Neptune doesn't complain as long as some wine is spilled int the water.

Mind you, my boat is named 'red boat' because the kids were small and that's what they called it so don't listen to me.