Silly question?

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi! I recently bought this 1973 Duracraft 14' boat and I am not crazy about the wood around the top. It looks home made to me....is there anything a person could buy that goes on there to replace that? I have looked at a ton of pics of the older Duracraft boats like this and I have never seen another one with that kind of wooden rail. boat3.jpg
boat.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Most have an aluminum rail around the boat. If the aluminum rail is under the wood then you could remove the wood and plug the holes with JB Weld

Trying to purchase the metal railing is near impossible and yes all aluminum boats need a rail for structure.

Was not a silly question. ;)

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanx! I see there's nothing under the wood at all except the aluminum that is sandwiched between the wood. So it must have had a metal railing around it at some point then? I can live with it but whoever did it didn't countersink the holes for the nuts and it creates a snag for your clothes, fishing line or anything that gets near the sides. I have already started the process of countersinking the nuts and I bought the right length bolts so they don't stick through the rail. I guess I will just have to make the best of it....... thanks gain!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I suspect the boat had quite a bit of aluminum deck around the edges, and rather then do metal fab to accommodate using it for fishing, they used wood instead.

1 at a time like you are is the 'easiest' way to do it. Might try 2 or 3 spaced around an area you can easily work all at once. That way you're using the bolt pulling tools for a couple at a time, just not in a row, and then the countersink tools for same, followed by the reinstall tools for several.

good luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
If you are changing out the bolts for the proper length....... Spend the right money on stainless steel and be advised SS bolts break faster when over-tightened. Countersinking the holes is a good idea as you stated. Do not be afraid when you are done, sand it and put a few coats of marine varnish over the wood. That will seal it and also help prevent any snags. Makes for a good off season project so you do not waste any boating time this season

Have fun!

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! I actually putting plugs in the holes after I get them all done. Good Ideal on the marine varnish too! I just bought the boat so I am yet to get her wet. I hope to have everything done before the snow flies!

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Some of the old small Tinnys had wood gunwales. The ones I have seen were from the 50's.

m casey stock had begun to track Duracraft serial numbers to try and date hulls.

Do you see and numbers on the hull or have an id plate mounted to the boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Many old tinnys had wood gunwales.

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"Do you see and numbers on the hull or have an id plate mounted to the boat?" Yeah...it has #'s on the boat that match the 1973 title. I researched the #'s and that is how I found out it s Duracraft.