Hitting the water

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Baylinrr Capri. No cracks or damage to hull at all. Quick questions. When driving fast on the ocean, sometimes I'll slam back down on the water pretty hard. Does anyone know how much pounding the hull can take. Is that hard pounding bad or can they take a lot?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your boat is structurally sound, usually not a problem. however on a 28 year old boat, I would suggest you look for evidence of rot in the stringers and transom.

QC

Supreme Mariner
This is all a question of degree and repetition. Higher degree of severity, and higher number of occurrences will absolutely add up to be bad. Depending on the severity, you may not be hurting the hull, but you are making all hardware joints, and all glassed joints, stress. So even though the hull may stay together (one piece) all of the joints; top to the hull, deck to the hull, engine mounts, drive to the transom, windshield, etc etc. etc, are being stressed. All of us encounter situations where we misjudge things, cross wakes, wakes, swells with wakes, etc. etc., but the best thing to do for the comfort and safety of you and your passengers is to anticipate issues and minimize them. Maybe a better way to think about it is that constant pounding can't be good.

Learn what types of wakes cause the worst bang and learn how to deal with them. I work my throttle and steering and trim CONSTANTLY unless it is dead flat. There is always a way to soften the blow. Just keep practicing.

Edit: BTW, I carry a decent combo screwdriver and a 1/2 inch wrench at the helm. Whenever I think about it I tighten hardware. You will be amazed how much, and how often, they come loose ;)

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
if your boat is structurally sound, usually not a problem. however on a 28 year old boat, I would suggest you look for evidence of rot in the stringers and transom.

Yup. I've found that the passengers(including me) will cry uncle before the boat does, but... it's an old boat. Do as Scott suggested and/or slow it down.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it. Now that you mention things coming loose, recently my switches for the Nav light aren't working. Not sure why. Perhaps something came undone. I need to check it out.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Also, if you are taking a Bayliner Capri on the ocean, you may want to look into trim tabs, if the boat is not already equipped. I take my 1980 19' Bow rider onto Lake Michigan and it is amazing what the trim tabs can do to stabilize the ride.