Loose Capt Seat

tpsball15

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1991 Penn Yan 245 a Contender Hard Top, my Capt seat is loose and rocks back and forth. It's a round I think 8 bolt base screwed into the floor. I go to tighten down the screws and they just spin. From what I see, there isn't any way to get under to hold the nut or anything like that. Hoping the Penn Yan owners have some insight! Thanks all.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Common problem. When the deck rots out that's the first place to go. A common solution is to bolt the seat to a large piece of plywood, and then screw the plywood down. Might get a couple of exta years before the whole deck will be gone.

tpsball15

Cadet
Sorry guys, been reel busy fishing lately. I don't believe the deck is rotting, it's a fiberglass floor. this is under the hardtop where no water gets to it. All the screws are there but the nuts must have fallen off and will not tighten up. I have a parts boat that I removed the same seat bases from, they are glued, super hard to get off, hammer and crow bar, wish I knew the glue?? I'm thinking about putting an access hole in the side of the middle compartment and that will get me to the under side of the seat. Thanks guys

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I bet there are no nuts to fall off. Since they are loose already, pull one out and see what you have. If the seat is lagged down, take them all out and rotate the base so new holes are between the old holes, there might be enough wood meat left to grab the threads.. Is this a fix? NO WAY, only to keep you from falling on your butt when you put the boat on the trailer to fix the rotted floor.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I'll guess that the seat is bolted down with 1/4-20 oval head screws in T-nuts on the underside, and like has already been mentioned the deck is starting to rot on the underside and the T-nuts don't have anything to grip anymore. Try screwing one of the screws out, if it just spins and the screw won't come out you have stripped T-nuts on the underside of the deck and it's going to be a real PITA to get the seat base off for a repair. If this is the case, take a wooden wedge or pry bar and drive it between the seat base and deck to tighten the nuts against the underside of the deck so you can unscrew them.

If they're just lag or sheet metal type screws and will come out, take them all out and rotate the seat base so you can put the screws in between the old holes.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
If / when you get it off, seal the old holes before reattaching the seat

tpsball15

Cadet
Ok, I have a parts boat, earlier this year I removed the 2 pedestal seats in that boat. It was very hard to do, after using an impact screwdriver the bases were still glued down very tight! I used a pry bar and big Hammer and worked really hard to get them off. Anyway, I drilled a 4" hole in the center storage compartment and reached under the seat location(on the parts boat)There is a piece of plywood screwed to the under side of the floor with nuts within the plywood. Now if this deck isn't rotten, I can't see mine being. I will post tonight with my findings. Thanks. I wonder what kind of glue or Epoxy was originally used? This seemed very strong!

64osby

Admiral
If it was clear I would guess Lexel. If it was white I would say 3M 5200 or 4200.

Sounds like they should have used fender washers or a backing plate the first time around. You might not have issues now.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The deck doesn't rot from above it rots from below from moisture in the bilge... Again hope not... If you can't get the screws out, is it loose enough to get a sawsall blade between the pedestal and floor and cut the bolts?

Also an access plate sounds like a real good plan.

tpsball15

Cadet
Ok, I drilled a 4 1/2" hole in the storage compartment in the middle of the boat, close to the front seat base. Reached in and found the problem instantly, when assembled back in 1991 they used a wooden backer plate under the floor with carbon 5/16" inserts to hold the 5/16" SS bolting. Over time, 24 years, the carbon inserts rusted onto the SS bolts and loosened out of the plywood. My fix was a longer SS bolt, fender washer and my lock nut. I also felt around under the floor and all around and it was dry as a bone! I now have a solid Capt Seat. I ordered the inspection cover plate as well to keep any moisture out. Thank all for the input and advice. Capt D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I figured it was something real close to that, like T-nuts had either rusted off or dislodged from the wood and were just spinning. Glad you got a solid fix.

I check my pedestal seat base bolts at least once a year for tightness... and never have they all been tight, there's always a few loose ones that need a few turns with the screwdriver.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
As I said from the start I hoped I was wrong..... Thrilled for ya... The scare of a rotten boat makes me cringe... It's always so crushing for the owner... Now get out there n catch some fish!

tpsball15

Cadet
Again, thanks guys! Pulled the Boat this past weekend, gets cold real fast here in upstate NY. Winterized and ready for storage. But, did notice a lot of rust on the bottom of the Exhaust Manifolds, next project I guess!!!