Help with selecting a boat

mattmillme

Recruit
Hello everyone, I didn't see a section for newbies to introduce themselves and I hope I did not simply overlook it. This is my first ever post here.

To sum my search request up; I am looking for a boat, of either wood or glass construction, that either already is, or can easily be converted to be, powered by a Buick 401 or 425 nailhead, that will seat a minimum of 4 people, preferably ~7 people, that can be used aggressively for watersports such as tubing, wakeboarding, skiing, etc. I am not opposed to a project. I have the talent, patience, and some of the skills needed to work on/convert/restore boats, and what I don't know I would love to learn. I don't have a price range set yet, I am just trying to see what I need to get a boat that I would love. Any information you provide me with to help me out is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have been around boats on small to decent sized lakes most of my life, but have never had a boat of my own(I am pretty young still). I am looking for a boat. I hope some of you here have the information I need, or at least know where to direct me to ask at in hopes of getting an answer. I am looking for a boat that either already is, or can easily be powered by a Buick nailhead. I am a big fan of the engine(in love with it really lol), have a couple for my car, and know quite a bit about them specifically. I am also an auto mechanic for a living and have some auto body experience, so I'm not afraid of a project and learning something new. I want a boat that will seat at least 4~5 people and would really like about 7~8. I want a boat that can be used for general running around and specifically watersports of all kinds, tubing, wakeboarding, skiing, etc. taken to a pretty aggressive level. I would prefer a v drive in all honesty(I know some boats had nailheads with v-drives back in the day), but am open to stern(I don't know if any boats had nailheads with stern factory). I don't think I would care for anything other drive type, but am open for suggestions. I will be using this boat in freshwater lakes of decent to large size only. As far as construction materials go I would LOVE a wood boat, but would be very happy with fiberglass after I paint it with a nice combo of teal and white with plenty of flake in the teal. I would prefer something classic, but am not opposed to going with a newer style of boat and converting it to a nailhead powerplant. I don't have a budget set, I just want to know what I am looking at to get a boat that I would love.
Thank you all for any help or suggestions, I really appreciate it.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Never seen or heard of a boat being installed with the Nail Valve (Nail Head) engines. Doubt if the transom assembly will fit, but also never tried to do it. If you can get a Velvet drive transmission to bolt up you could run it direct, as in a ski boat or V-drive style, or use a drive shaft extension to power a stern drive.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I agree with AD, yer choice of motor pretty much kills any chance of success,...

Buicks were never "Boat" motors,....

Only one ever used was a Buick V6 in old OMC stringer drives, which you want Nothin' to do with,....

If ya can't bolt it up to a flywheel cover, 'n there ain't no water cooled exhaust for it, it Can't be used in a boat,...

mattmillme

Recruit
There were 364 nailheads that were factory options for some boats. I am 99% sure that there were some 401 and 425's from factories as well. I will get some pictures and articles posted up later. I have seen many sets of water cooled manifolds, special reverse rotation camshafts, and water pumps. I have seen quite a few pictures of old drag boats that had them in there. I know that the nailheads were one of the hot tickets in drag cars and boats up until the release of the big block chevys, 426 hemi's, and ford 427 8 &9 in the mid 60's. I also know there were some Buick 300s and 340s used in that same time-frame of the later 50's through around 67~68. I would agree that the Buick odd-fire v-6 was pretty commonly used and that I wouldn't want one though lol.

Last edited:

mattmillme

Recruit
Most boats with Nailheads I have seen were in old Stevens or like 10+ passenger boats that's name started with an E(having a brain fart atm). Every one I have seen was v-drive. Here are some pictures and videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBPRhSnnNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D16AEtS39U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUuccvzXj8

th

_DSC6578.JPG

100_02061.jpg