When i pull the plug there is a ton of water that comes out.

Mreyes

Recruit
Hi guys I just bought a 1996 SunBird Neptune 181. I took it out the other day and noticed after I bilged out all the water and pulled the boat out, when I pulled the plug a ton of water came out. I mean alot. When I popped the hatch by the motor where the bilge is it was pretty much dry. This is my first ocean boat but I've never seen this before on any of my past bass boats, there are no holes in the hull or anything weird so what am I looking at? There is a hole on the rear port side with a grommet that is supposed to be there (i dont know what for?) but the water seems to be lower than I am able to see or get to... Any ideas? thanks.

oldjeep

Admiral
Put it in the water, open hatches and look for water coming in. If you don't see any then start it up and look again.

Bellows, open block drain, loose hose clamp, leaky transom seal are a couple possibilities.

Mreyes

Recruit
Thanks, I didnt see anything weird when i was in the water but i will check again.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I think it would be fair to say you have a leak!! What the previous poster was referring to was take the boat out for a ride, open the hatch, take a flashlight and look for water intrusion while underway with motor running. Do have another person along to drive while you look for leaks.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
What Oldjeep said plus if it's that much water I'd just pick a slow day at the ramp and start looking while it sat and ran on the trailer to start.