Older top tier cruiser VS newer mid level cruiser? Purchase help.

Best cuddy cabin, express cruiser, cabin cruiser etc for lake?

Needing some help on good older cabin cruiser, express, or cuddy for lake. Wanting something in the 80s-90s don't mind a project for over the winter to get ready for next season. This is a 2nd boat for us for the lake - we currently have a pontoon but letting my parents use most of the time now. Wanted a WA type to trailer back and forth to Florida for fishing and bring back to the lake for rest of the time but the WA just doesn't have the space we want for using at the lake most of the time so will just stick with a lake boat and continue to rent a CC in FL for fishing.
Would really like something with a good swim platform, something that could sit 4-5 in the cockpit comfortably, something that is comfortable enough that my husband and I could spend the night at the dock or lake if we wanted to. Need some brand suggestions- I know Sea Ray Sundancer will probably be the most superior but would like to keep my eyes peeled for anything in the good deal range. What are the best quality boats especially if I am looking at 80s-90s and what are some to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
Searay is a good boat, I'll not bad mouth them, but not in a superior area IMO. It use to lead the pack there are others which have left them in the dust. The 4 to 5 folks in the cockpit needs more explanation. You can have a 23 footer which will sit folks in the area, 27 is better, but what do you do when your out? Also why are you leaning toward cabin cruiser, plan to sleep on it, want toilet facilities, other things?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Knowning you're looking for a project, from the 80s or 90s, it'll still come down to condition, condition, condition of a specific boat rather then a specific maker of a boat.

A well cared for Bayliner may be in better condition then a high end cruiser thats been abandoned at a marina for a few seasons.

We are leaning toward a cabin cruiser because we would like to maybe spend the night at our slip or out on the lake a couple of times during the season and having a head would be nice for long day trips on the lake. The 4-5 or more in the cockpit would just be hanging out, some drinks, music, talking etc. We are a couple in our early 30s, no kids, and like to have fun and entertain.

For instance we found a very reasonable priced Chris-Craft Cruiser but after reading about them it seemed they had A LOT of issues with build and hulls in the 80s-90s. Correct me if I am wrong. Yes, fully aware of condition factor being top priority. Want the best condition we can find for the best price. We don't mind having engine work done, or a good clean up etc if the price were right.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I own a late 80's Cruisers Rogue that I love. Seats 6 comfortably, sleeps 2, trailerable. Condition will be king on a 20-30 year old boat. Get a survey

Scott Danforth

Staff member
also, if you are buying in Florida, plenty of project boats sitting in marina lots - most not worth anything more than scrap. if you find it full of tadpoles and frogs, keep looking. if the interior is covered with mold, keep looking. if the interior is shreaded from sitting in the elements, keep looking

JoLin

Vice Admiral
For instance we found a very reasonable priced Chris-Craft Cruiser but after reading about them it seemed they had A LOT of issues with build and hulls in the 80s-90s. Correct me if I am wrong. Yes, fully aware of condition factor being top priority. Want the best condition we can find for the best price. We don't mind having engine work done, or a good clean up etc if the price were right.

If a particular 20-30 year old boat has a problem with 'build and hulls' it'll be readily apparent to a surveyor. As previously stated, stop looking at brand. At that age it's practically meaningless. Find a boat you like that appears to have been well cared for and have a professional surveyor (one YOU hire) check it over. Finding the bad stuff you can't see is what they do.

I own a Carver. Not every Carver has a good reputation. My particular boat is very well put together with high quality materials, but if it had been neglected it would be a pile of scrap by now. I happen to have bought mine from the widow of the original owner. The man was positively anal about upkeep and it shows.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The key is to determine what you want for amenities, layout and style. Before I bought my 250 Sundancer I stepped aboard pretty much every 24 to 26' pocket cruiser made. After 13 seasons this boat still gives me a big smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Pretty sure I got the right boat!.....LOL

Some of the things on my short list at the time and stuff you can consider What was important to me might not be to you:

No 5.0 V8 engines or Alpha drives. Mine has a 5.7/EFI B3
No port windows that don't open with screens. I knew I would be overweighing on it regularly so ventilation was important.
No portapoties - Find me another boat in this size that came STANDARD with a vacuflush head.

Things I like about the boat:

Vinyl headliner in the cabin versus carpet
Cabin door - nice & heavy, slides out of the way versus the cheap ones that fold with piano hinges.
Ride - The test drive is what sealed the deal for me. This boat is built like a brick sh$thouse and I've nick-named it the "Rock Crusher" because it takes roughest water chews it up at the bow and spits it out the stern. Love how it rides and how solid it feels.
The bow pulpit for anchoring.
Everything is easy to get at in the engine compartment
Lastly - I like the way it looks.

Things I don't like:

Head compartment is small. Front of sink too close to front of toilet, poor ergos.
Carpeting on cabin floor. Fiberglassed lined with snap in carpet like the cockpit would have been a much better design.

I always say never buy based on the name on the side. Buy based on style, layout & amenities. SeaRay built this model form 1995 to 1998.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Well, to each his own :joyous:

My experience with my 1999 24' Chris Craft express was similar to yours with your Sundancer. But as time went on, Lin and I kept looking for more cabin space, a separate dinette that didn't need to be broken down to make the berth, a head we didn't have to fold ourselves into to shower, etc. From the CC we went to a 27' Four Winns Vista with wider beam and all the stuff we thought we wanted, including air conditioning. Still not enough cabin space over time, so I bought the Carver flybridge last year. Pretty sure this is the last one. Since I added A/C it really does have everything we need. Our 10 day trip to Martha's Vineyard early this month clinched it. I've really fallen in love with this boat over the past 15 months

Seaworthy, roomy and good looking- once having a flybridge I can't imagine ever going back to an express cruiser.

My .02

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
"Seaworthy, roomy and good looking- once having a flybridge I can't imagine ever going back to an express cruiser."

Not sure about the OP, but I don't want to be stuck at the same dock every weekend(been there done that) so any boat that isn't easily trailered behind my PU is a "no go".

Scott Danforth

Staff member
OP is looking for something that can be trailered. most flybridges I have been aboard do not fall in that category.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i have an 86 sea ray 250 sundancer and love it so far. i wouldn't mind something s little bigger but this is good for us as a first boat. with the tri-axle trailer the PO claims it is about 8000 lbs dry, boat and trailer combined. i pull it easily with my ram 1500 hemi, although i keep it docked at the marina

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Until twofootitus and you get the next one

LOL. Actually went down a foot in length this time, but made up for it by going taller :facepalm:. I don't see any more 2-foot-itis in my future. It was fairly easy when I was still working, not so much anymore.

Sorry, OP. Forgot you wanted a trailerable boat, so forget the flybridge... obviously :)

Hey guys, the past few days I have toyed with also a large bow rider with a head/changing room. Only reason I considered this option also is that wanting a cabin cruiser is a want but we dont have to have one. My husband said realistically would be overnight on it a lot? We live 15 minutes from our lake. I just thought it would be nice for long drinking nights and having a place to crash LOL. Also I really love the idea of having a potty and place to change. Have also been throwing into the mix a 25-28ft bowrider. Anyone else went from cruiser to bowrider or vice versa?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I have IMHO the perfect trailerable cruiser.

Google "Carver 2667 Santa Cruz"

Trailerable 26' flybridge cruiser... MUCH bigger inside than any other 26'er I've ever been in. Rides great, 7' headroom, V berth plus dinette.... The only place it's lacking in the O/P's requirements is that there is only room for 2 on the flybridge.... Rear deck would seat about 4 more tho.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys, the past few days I have toyed with also a large bow rider with a head/changing room. Only reason I considered this option also is that wanting a cabin cruiser is a want but we dont have to have one. My husband said realistically would be overnight on it a lot? We live 15 minutes from our lake. I just thought it would be nice for long drinking nights and having a place to crash LOL. Also I really love the idea of having a potty and place to change. Have also been throwing into the mix a 25-28ft bowrider. Anyone else went from cruiser to bowrider or vice versa?

I went from a 21 foot bow rider to a 25 foot cuddy 10 years ago and would never go back. My wife and I use the cuddy cabin all the time and it's fantastic to be able to spend the night on the boat whenever we feel like it. We went out for a "day trip" last Saturday and did not return until Sunday afternoon... Three weeks ago we spent 7 nights in a row on the boat, the first 5 in the 1000 Islands area and the last 2 on a lake in Maine. When my kids were younger, they spent many nights aboard with us on the hook, and many nights aboard with friends at the dock. Trailerable boats you can sleep aboard are awesome, IMO.

A 21+ foot deck boat with a head may be great option for you if seat space is more important than sleeping space. They tend to have the same kind of space as bow riders that are 2 to 3 feet longer. If it has bow filler cushions, you could add custom camper canvas and make it an impromptu overnighter.